Trumpet Repair Tools

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by GijsVis, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
  2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    To clarify: "supersonic" refers to the speed of sound waves through air, which is the same irrespective of the frequency. "Ultrasound" is sound of very high frequency beyond human hearing, usually defined at above 25,000 hertz. Ultrasound through an incompressible medium (like water) can clean tartar off teeth, accumulated dirt off jewellery, accumulated gunk off trumpets. Supersonic sound can ony very rarely do that; but a supersonic boom will most likely shatter your windows before your trumpet is clean.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    well I am going to quit taking my trumpets to the local air force base ----- I knew someone was putting me on, I just knew it. I should have paid attention way back when in Physics Class, instead of cheating off the Valedictorians paper ---- but she was cute and didn't mind!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ---- but look where it got me!!! supersonic boom cleaning, that apparently never worked!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I flown twice at supersonic speed, one of those times I didn't want to ... in a dive and I ejected. The other time being only a JATO bottle spurt. No, such would not be a viable cleaner. Too, I don't believe ultrasound alone would be either, but they can produce intense vibratory agitation that increases the effectiveness of cleaning agents. Too, there is medical ultrasound imaging which I've been regularly tested with by my cardiologists. Normal human hearing hasn't a set of acceptable scientific parameters. The Otolaryngologist relates that my wife has an extremely high range of hearing and I can validate that whereas she now cannot hear the lowest six notes on a piano and can hear a silent dog whistle a furlong distance away albeit it is irritating as is a violin "screetch," piccolos and some of my piccolo trumpet parts ... the reason she will not attend concerts with me.