Trumpet repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by areichleal, May 25, 2010.

1. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    I live in rural IN and am having some trouble finding a shop to refurbish and laquer my circa 1966 Super Olds. Can anyone recommend a place to go? South Bend and Elkhart, IN are the closest "big" cities to the east of me and Chicago is less than an hour away to the west. Thanks, Al Reichle

2. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Mark Metzler in Elkhart does beautiful restorations and lacquer work. Please leave him alone until he's through with my horns, though.

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    areichleal.

I agree with with ChopsGone. Mark has a great reputation for brass instrument restoration. Check out his website at:

Home -

Hope all goes well!

Best wishes,

Lloyd

4. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Thanks, Chpos. I just emailed him. I am really excited about getting back into playing. It's been a while but I just retired and have nothing but "me" time. Hey, is there a good instructor in the area. I live in Valparaiso. Thanks, Al Reichle

5. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Thanks, Lloyd. I just emailed Mark and am hoping to hear back soon. Al Reichle

6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    N.B. - Mark mentioned that he was going to be out of the shop 5/21 - 5/27. I don't know whether he plans a long Memorial Day weekend (I certainly would), but don't get upset if you don't get an immediate response.

7. strummy_funk

strummy_funk New Friend

Jan 20, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN, USA
    Al,

Greetings from Fort Wayne. If I were looking for an instructor in the area, I'd go to Woodwind and Brasswind in South Bend. Their main store is there. They also have a website: www.wwbw.com I've always found them very helpful with suggestions. I know they have contract teachers on staff, and I'm sure they have a list of instructors in the area. (It's also about the best place in the region to buy supplies.) I'd also call the music department at Valparaiso University and ask about lessons from one of the trumpet faculty. Talk to several to find one that fits what you're after. A good teacher that you can bond with makes all the difference.

Gary Johnson

8. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Chops, he got back to me already and said he would be glad to bump you out so I could jump ahead!! LOL!!! I have heard from some others and it seems he is the man for the job. Thanks for your help. Mark said he didn't like to keep a lot of brass in the shop so he has me on the bottom of the list and will contact me when it's my turn. I am going to drive the horn over there as I really want to see his shop. I intend to take some digitials (if Mark is OK with it) so if you have never seen the place, I would be glad to send some to you. Again, thanks! Al Reichle

9. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    I'd have to concur that Mark Metzler is excellent. You won't be disappointed. Not only is he a great Brass Man...he's a good guy on top of it.

10. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Thanks, funk. I'm a VU grad and can't believe it did not dawn on me to contact them. Man, I'm so glad I found this web site. Everyone has offered such great advice. Best, Al Reichle