Trumpet repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by areichleal, May 25, 2010.

1. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    "vint", thanks for the input. I can tell by my exchange of emails with Mark that he has a sense of humor as well as being great at his craft. I'm on the bottom of the list but the wait will be worth it. Best, Al Reichle

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    you might want to contact Tom Green at Greens Buffing, a top notch repair guy and has done some great work for me. He was the gold plating guy at Anersons Plating before going out on his own so he does know what he is doing. Check out his web site Greens Buffing. never hurts to check out more than one place.

3. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Dave, thanks for the response. I heard from a couple of guys who had great work done by Mark Metzler in Elkhart, IN. I live near there so I am on his wait list. I am so glad I got that horn out of the shop here in town. I would not have known what kind of quality is out there if it were not for having stumbled across this web site. Man, the responsed I have gotten have been a real help. People are really friendly and helpful. Thanks again, Dave, Al Reichle

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well, here's another thought. You may not want to drive there, but Zig Kanstul in Anaheim is the one who actually built that trumpet and he does excellent work. The wait may not be as long as Mark. If you really want fast service, try Anaheim Band Instruments. I had my Los Angeles Super refinished there and it only took one week (you won't have to wait so long to continue playing). It came out beautifully. Whatever you decide, good luck on your comeback. It's a great adventure. (It's been one year for me after nearly 40 years off).

5. areichleal

areichleal New Friend

May 24, 2010
    Comeback, thanks for the advice. Man, we are like twins as I basically quit playing in 1968 when I left for college. I went to Valparaiso U and their music was not very good back then. I recently retired and the music at VU is now incredible. I saw Arturo Sandoval there about a month ago. Holy smokes! I heard him 2 years ago and he hasn't lost a beat. He is also an amazing pianist. I'm thinkin' it may take me as long as a month before he invites me to open for him....YEA RIGHT! Hey, while you are on the line, I noticed the 2 mouthpieces I had were the Bach 7C and 101/2C. Why I had those 2 is a mystery to me. However, I read a thread this morning that tells me those are not the right pieces for a person of my now limited skills. What did you start back with? If you can, let me know. As for the repair job, I think I will stick with Mark because now that I know the horn is playable, I am going to practice until he slots me in...sometime in August. Best, Al Reichle

6. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi fellow Hoosier, Tom's the man in Elkhart.