Trumpet Review .com

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gzent, Mar 15, 2004.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is a great site -- until people with an axe to grind start posting bad reviews because they have an ulterior motive. Of course, if the moderator cuts such people off, it might be a very good thing.

M&C

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    That's a big "Ten-Four", Jim. Of course, a "RAVE" review can be just as biased as a negative one; the issue is always how to evaluate what another person (who might not even be a player) has to say and then figure out how that relates to the READER!

There is also the issue of improper use of statistics: how many people will honestly look at the numbers and say to themselves "Eight out of Ten gave this one two thumbs up but Three out of Four gave the other one two thumbs up" and then figure out the odds of THEMSELVES getting the same results.

I think that these "ratings" are (like with any other product...) useful only in terms of getting a general idea of what is most likely to be better quality than a different brand name. I do think that the use of all of the different models within a brand is a good idea. All in all I think I'd use a list like this to "narrow down" my search (or at least eliminate the obvious) but that's about it. Let's face it, most of the good brands are going to get good reviews (as they should) which really means that there aren't too many dogs out there. The real value is going to be to steer people away from the Larks and Moniques of this world.

(And honestly, how many pros are going to end up evaluating the junkers?)

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    If it does that, I would be a happy person :D I get way too many emails from parents who bought junk horns. That is why I have a link to this site on my website!

M&C