Trumpet Robot

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mason, Nov 16, 2008.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    not to get off topic chris but the last steam locomotive built for domestic use in the us was an 0-8-0 switcher built by and for norfolk western out of their roanoke shops in 1953.

Chesapeake & Ohio's 614 was built by lima locomotive works in 1948. unfortunately she's currently laid up in port clinton, pa in need of about a million dollars worth of work to be brought back to operating condition :-(

they do plan on running her again, and i can't wait!

2. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

Not at all Ed! I was hopeful of the distraction, and happy to hear someone else is also an enthusiast. And you're absolutely right- She was the last Mainline Passenger Loco built in the States. God! -what'a Beauty!

Hopefully, She'll be up and running soon.

Cheers-

_______

Robin.. :) -there's simply no other way to approach this, beyond our having to forget what we think we know. Despite the difficulty of not retreating to our strengths, in leverage of dismissive appeals. -It's just what we do though. We prefer this in attempt of plausible argument, but inevitably, it's always misdirected and pale of heart. Our learned-experience.. or Determinist views, if one prefers this to stagnate bias. Doesn't have the stamina to look across a bridge like this. If it's any consolation to us all, you understand. The interactive progression and advantage we're speaking of: isn't conducive poor information-exchange. Abundant reference serves as a natural filter. There's simply no place to hide Quality Learning, when such a wealth of cross checking our interest of learning, is available to us. -Particularly in light of the incredible browse speed, and complete recall we'll have on tap. That obviously will sustain an advancing acuity of discernment. And all to often, learning is derailed for failure of being able to convey experiential reference, by some measure of dysfunction or interest and patience thereof. Which will no longer be of issue, given our ability to interact so efficently.

Hope i was clear- i got caught up late with some friends. :)

C

-

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  3. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    I'm more looking forward to Steamtown bringing PRR K4 Pacific No. 1361 back to operating condition... i'm a Pennsylvania Rail Road buff. I'm not picky though, i'll take a resurrected steam engine anyway i can take it!!

4. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    [​IMG]

A Grand Dame, for sure Ed!

I don't know what it is about these Old Locomotives, but they get me everytime. :)

-

5. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    aye, a Grand Dame she is. one of the most succesful locomotives built, and by none other than the Standard Railroad of America. steam engines have a personality, a history. you know each one has a spirit with blood, sweat, and tears spilled over their lifetime. today's engines are simply drones...

definitely analagous to the conversation at hand, now that i think about it. steam locomotives of yore are beautiful, well constructed instruments; each with it's own imperfections and personality. every one of them performed a little differently than the one built before it. even in their prime whenever one rumbled down the tracks everyone stopped and looked. today's diesel-electrics are all the same: boring, identical units indistiguishable from the next; paid little attention by today's society.

while a trumpet playing robot is "neat", what is behind it other than a series of ones and zeroes? It's really no different than hearing recorded music... i myself pay little attention to the music that comes out of my ipod, but i know that when I pick up my trumpet and start belting out true art that people are going to notice, for better or worse.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  6. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Thanks a lot for this statement! :thumbsup:

This thread has been scary...:shock:

7. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

"..today's engines are simply drones..." -edcon

I couldn't disagree more Ed. Diesels are Incredible Workhorses, with everybit the character of old. And who doesn't love the Bullet Trains. Their beauty and speeds are amazing. -But i gather your meaning.

"..while a trumpet playing robot is "neat", what is behind it other than a series of ones and zeroes? It's really no different than hearing recorded music... i myself pay little attention to the music that comes out of my ipod, but i know that when I pick up my trumpet and start belting out true art that people are going to notice, for better or worse."

Which i guess comes to the questions that haven't been asked yet. And i suppose is Nordlands meaning of 'scary'. -Do we feel the same about 'Conscious Machines' belting out "True Art", as we do for 'Drones' replicating True Art. Will we feel differently about Human Artist's, True Art- that have taken hold of cerebral-enhancement. Than we do about those, that have not. Possibly, we will feel the same nostalgic romance and sentiment for a Humanity of "Yore", as we do for Locomotion of the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  8. edcon1981

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    just stumbled across this picture, thought it was relevant.

[​IMG]

9. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007

:lol:

To be sure Ed. Like Robin says: it ain't the ax. :)

As it is, if that was.. the 'relevance' you speak to. The questions remain.

Please don't feel like that's a challenge to you, or anyone else. -Or that i'm having a go at instigating a soundboard, to my own consideration. I'm genuinely interested in the conversation. Which is clear from all the threads i've posted- and another two real interesting articles in the lounge, just earlier. It could be, you and others might think they're as interesting as i do -and those arun't nearly, so close to home. I gathered you felt my interaction on point, was failing, given i don't play. Which doesn't hold any truth for me. My empirical resolve affords me a far less conservative stance, than i speak to here.

-So do we feel the same about 'Conscious Machines' belting out "True Art", as we do for 'Drones' replicating, True Art.

-Will we feel differently about Human Artist's, True Art- that have taken hold of cerebral-enhancement. Than we do about those, that have not.

-Possibly, we will feel the same nostalgic romance and sentiment for a Humanity of "Yore", as we do for Locomotion of the past.

Myself: i love the open-visual mechanics of the Old Locomotives. The sound of'em- the smell of'em. The way they come to imposing and impressive life, by eating fire and spittin' smoke! They're some seriously, Bad Ass -Bitchin' Babes!

:lol::D

And no less so- are the Slippery Sleek & Leggy Temptresses'! of today. :) I know, i know- my awe is borderline misogyny, in light of a Train's workload. But you well see my justified reverence for the functional-beauty of the past, and the present.

-I can't honsetly imagine any of us will resent, or discourage the "Artist" in any manner, shape or form of intent. Least not as times permit.

Cheers-

-