Trumpet + Saxophone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PiGuy_314, Mar 26, 2014.

1. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hello all.

First off, I wasn't sure to which forum this thread would belong, so I apologise if this is not the correct one.

Second, I tried several searches and couldn't find anything related to this, but if someone finds something of use to me that I missed I would be extremely grateful. And maybe a little embarrassed. :p

Right, then. So, I have two alto saxophones readily available to me (they dwell in my house when not being used at school) and I have decided that it would be fun to try to see if I couldn't learn a little and begin the very basics of saxophone.

The question (I'm sure it's been asked many times):

Will it (saxophone playing) affect my brass embouchure negatively?

I've been playing saxophone almost daily (in addition to my daily trumpet practice) for a few weeks now and haven't noticed any kind of detriment to my trumpet playing.

Any insight or speculation is appreciated.

~Noah

2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Benny Carter was a heck of a Trumpet/Alto Sax player. Check him out!

3. peanuts56

peanuts56 Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2009
    Glenn Zottola, Ira Sullivan and James Morrison are all worth a listen.

4. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I also play both, it has never created an issue where it interferes for me.

The big thing is to be sure that while playing both you don't become a jack of all trades and a master of none.

5. Auburn Tiger

Auburn Tiger New Friend

Dec 7, 2013
    Auburn, AL
    Maynard played some killer soprano sax

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Can you provide some links? I've only seen/heard one example and it wasn't anything a high school player could'nt do. I'd really be interested in hearing him play sax on the same level, say, as his double on euphonium.

7. peanuts56

Jan 18, 2009
    The only thing I ever heard Maynard play on soprano was the opening of Hey Jude. He played perfectly in tune and sax players will tell you soprano can be hard to play in tune. My guess is Maynard had the kind of natural talent that would have allowed him to play any wind instrument well.

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    An old school sweetheart was quite an accomplished bassoonist. I had a go one day and she was most put out that I got a good full note out of it first blow. Trumpet chops work pretty well on bassoon. I guess the same might be true of other reeds.

9. peanuts56

Jan 18, 2009
    I once tried the bagpipes and was surprised at how difficult it was to produce a sound.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It requires a particularly determined mindset borne of generations of resentment, a dismal climate, and a diet of oats and offal.