Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I'velearned not only in music, but in any cohesive entity whether it be a sports training company or a frat withhold secrets for reasonable purposes.

However, music in my opinion is not really supposed to be competitive, because I believe it is more so about honesty,communication, soul etc. but I'm finding that people with-hold trumpet secrets ; I don't know whether its the old selfish "find out for your self .. I had to thing" or more so a coltish thing like "your not my brother thus, I have nothing to tell you".

I don't believe in such things, I haven't been playing that long but I'm glad to share just a few things I learned along the journey; feel free to share "your secrets" or things you overcame that were difficult, because of course getting a sound out the horn and figuring out how to play scales isn't really secret if you have a computer-teacher etc. But other things are a bit more difficult to overcome.

A jazz trumpeter revealed that improving his tone was partially attributed to playing in corner walls in his home as they amplified his sound so he could listen to it better. if you watch miles davis play alot of the time its pointing to the floor and other directions, its because he was obsessed with how the sound of the notes changed as he pointed it in different directions.
    Most of you already know that high notes actually require less air but faster which requires compression. Maynard Ferguson got a boy who couldnt play high notes to point is horn to the ground which gave him the leverage along to the concepts I just alluded to play the high notes. Alot of little things like this helped me improve my playing. Does anybody have things/moments they recall that unlocked a personal trumpet mystery/problem?

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Ricardo. As you are probably discovering, trumpet players are a bit different. You will be told so many secrets, often contradictory that your challenge may well be to work out which pieces of advice to follow :-)

3. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Absolutely but I think any secret can have merit; there are more than one way to arrive at a certain answer; however you may receive a formula that not the quickest/ or best way to unlock a certain problem your trying to solve. but if more answers/secrets were available it would be much easier. Understanding the physics of trumpet helped me, but it may not be necessary for some. One sentence from a jazz instructor I know sparked something in me that has me on a unique quest for jazz improvisation; I'm currently using probably the most unorthodox method.

A lot of people are right about certain trumpet things, but that doesn't disprove someone else's theory. I like the most options/perspectives and from there I derive which path I will adopt for my journey.

4. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    I took a lesson a few years ago with "Arturo Sandoval " this was in the beginning of my comeback ...............

After all we touched on, and as the lesson was about to end he said one thing that resonated with me. He said " There is no Secret ! "

While simple a statement as it was, that one statement from Mr. Sandoval has inspired me to savor the passion and enjoy the ride.

As for my playing? I'm minimum 40X better then when I started ...............

5. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ricardo, I must apologise if you feel excluded from the club. But...I think you are laboring under the misconception that there is a shortcut to hard work and practice. Also, what works for one pair of lips is poison on another. As tj stated above, everyone has the "secret" but its different for everyone. Take every piece of advice with a grain of salt...Yes they all probably work to some degree, but (disclaimer) "your results may vary".

That being said, I feel that you are looking for suggestions so here is mine. Whenever possible play with others that are lightyears more advanced than you. Standing next to a guy with a phd in trumpet performance gets me paying attention to what hes doing and why. If you are feeling a cold shoulder by other players, they are NOT the ones you need to learn from. Believe me, the truly great players are GENEROUS when it comes to teaching us hackers. God bless them. Best wishes.

6. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Well, before you can learn the "trumpet secrets", you must first get someone to show you the "trumpet player secret handshake", only then can the secrets be revealed...........:lol:

But seriously, I think Larry hit the nail on the head; there are many approaches to playing (just as there are many different opinions on equipment) and most do similar things in terms of developing the player, but do so in different ways. Some might work better for you than me or vice versa.......

I think that you will find however that there is one common thread with anyone who achieves greatness at anything, and that is that at some point in their development, they spent a butt-load of time practicing their chosen vocation, whether that be trumpet, sax, basketball, chess, whatever. In order to achieve that level of commitment, you need to really love it, and, perhaps be blessed with some degree of natural ability or aptitude.

No secret, just, as Larry stated; hard work and practice.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What about challenging the section leader, try outs, auditions? Not competitive... are you kidding me? OR are you from the T-ball generation. If that latter... get over it 'cause that ain't how the real world operates. Competition IS how we advance... the better communicator IS the more competitive dude.... Now Let's play ball... We in the BIG LEAGUES now!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hey, if that worked for him... cool. Never played into a wall my entire life, just took lessons, worked out of an array of classical books with Mick Dennesson and Eugene Blee with the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, then transposed solo after solo with my jazz teacher, Claudio Roditi. That's how I got my tone. I didn't play into walls, I broke walls down.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Or he had a difficult time relating to people he did not want to relate to... Just ask Wynton Marsalis.

10. Honkie

Honkie Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    I'd say the greatest secret is Clarke's Technical Studies. Yes, they don't keep it hidden very well...but there is occult knowledge within. Shhh.