Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    At least you're not picking on someone lesser, or in other words: you're picking on someone your own size!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Secrets aren't secrets once they have been revealed.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    THAT WAS A SECRET!!! :roll:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oops....

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    how could I forget about Trombone Shorty? --- yes, I have some vids of him at like 11 --- literally wailing the sound out of a trombone!!! -- OK, here is another secret to doubling on the trombone!! YOU need to start out slow. essentially the trombone is "another" embouchure. So your main instrument is the trumpet, then (IF you decide) to someday learn the trombone. The secret will be to "hold back" --- play the trom about 10 minutes every other day AFTER your trumpet practice for the first week or two -- then add the trombone a few minutes here and there in your trumpet practice the next few weeks, but NOT exceeding 10 -15 minutes of Trom for each practice. When it is all said and done, I had very little trouble playing the trombone (after the first 2 months when I sucked at it) and switching back to trumpet --- but like I said the key is to NOT GO ALL OUT on the trombone, develop it gradually.

and -- another secret (for me) with the trombone and switching is that the trom literally helps to relax my "trumpet" embouchure. so if I am starting to tire on the trumpet, I can play 10 or so minutes on the trombone, take a quick break -- and the trumpet playing is renewed (temporarily) ---- also, my favorite warmup is usually some long tones, slurs and scales with the trombone (if I am at home where both instruments are handy) --

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Most as are copyrighted, you'll have to come and visit me to listen to when I'm in assisted living quarters when I get older ... if I live that long. Songs that are public domain that I now have in my CD repertoire and MP3 format I can transmit as attachment to e-mail if you provide active e-mail address via TM Private Message (PM). Were you to search back on my TM posts, you'd find that I was initially taught by Walter H. Cameron, former cornetist with John Philip Sousa's second commercial band 1926-31 and subsequently acquired a minor in instrumental music along with my B Ed but my career was in Federal Law Enforcement until disabled. I'll also say this much, I didn't have a chance to get out of practice at home with both my parents as teachers. Admittedly, I learned to transpose piano music from my Mother and Grandmother's music as music wasn't available in WWII, the printers being drafted and transportation strategic. Those that learned then spent a lot of time hand copying and transposing for their instrument whatever music we could scrounge. Among my ostentatious show-off recordings are Sousa's "Stars and Stripes, Forever!" transposing the C piccolo solo for my piccolo trumpet as is difficult to hear (next to impossible) in USMC's rendition, Fucik's "Entry Of The Gladiators", Rimsky-Korsakov's "Flight of the Bumble Bee" and Strauss Jr's "Tales From The Vienna Woods" transposing the C violin parts. A Zoom HN-4 digital recorder is great for recording practice sessions.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    don't worry -- I don't give you blokes all my secrets ---- and even to a few "fortunate" people that I send my "video" or "audio" reports to on my "comeback trail" --- well I don't give them blokes all the secrets (or reveal the level at which I actually can or can't play) ---- but I do give them enough to know that I am "legitimate" in what I say ----- just saying you know!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    The secret is that's 10 pages of threads I've wasted time reading, that I won't get back!

tobylou8 likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Dude -- this may very well be one of my favorite trumpet players ---- perhaps THE FAVORITE ----- but I really can't compete with her, she however has a motivating effect on me!!! not so much because she is beautiful, or that we contact one another on occasion ----- but she is AN ENTERTAINER!!!! -- so singing, the trumpet, the presentation all has to be inclusive in the "FAVORITE" musician ----- I highly doubt that any of us here on TM, can actually pick out 1 particular trumpet player, and say they are the best!!! (kind of like exactly what you just said -- but, hey, I got to try to illustrate it better, I am a trumpet player you know -- ROFL ROFL ROFL )

Nicole Sasser and the Dynamics! (6 min demo) - YouTube

we can say -- A. or B. trumpet player is our favorite --- but a day, a week, or a month later - we (as trumpet players) will like have a different answer, and probably some of us will have a different mpc by then also ----- just saying!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    WOW I MIGHT ACTUALLY GIVE THIS A SHOT it actually makes sense to me ; I KNOW A TRUMPETER THAT PLAYS THE SOPRANO ; DOES IS MATTER / MAKE A DIFFERENCE WHETHER ITS A SOPRONO OR A STANDARD .Bb trombone ; I would think the mouthpiece would be a bit smaller for the soprano but I'm not sure to what degree?