Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Yea many misinterpreted ; I was greatly interested in personal breakthroughs as well as things you typically wouldn't hear from your average book or instructor's ; there's not many shortcuts in trumpet learning ; but then again something like the pencil excercisez/ embouchure training could be considered a shortcut to stronger supporting facial muscles that are essential for trumpet playing ; that's why its so hard to make statements that are bullet proof: there's exceptions to the rules a lot of the time.
    R. Stalwart

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Lead with your air" is a good one. So is "connect the dots." Problem is, these are just a bunch of Zen-like Koans that we pick up after we've learned. A good teacher can show you how these esoteric things sound, and hear you when you emulate them, and then at some point you will catch on to the concept the teacher was trying to get across.

Here is a secret: when riding a bicycle don't fall over.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!
    Rofl

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have another - "You can't breathe beer".

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm--- just saying ---- that would be like playing a slide trumpet ---- NOT NEARLY THE SAME AS DOUBLING on a regular trombone with a bigger mpc ----- but if you must listen to VB ----- then try NOT to heed the advice that is meaningless!!!!! like getting a soprano trombone ----- ((so let me help you out here Ricardo ---- "Hey VB, why don't you go get your viola and put the strings on backwards and play it backwards, just so you get some different perspective on music????))) -- there Ricardo, he shouldn't bother you any more!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

so playing a soprano trombone defeats the purpose of a regular trombone which would give one different or "enhanced" embouchure muscle training, and also the requirement of more air that is needed with a regular trombone would be negated in a soprano trom. --- I say NIX the little stupid soprano trombone idea -- or go get a viola and emulate Vulgano Brother -- and then he can be your new role model!!!! ((darn mega-guitar players anyhow)) ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and there is another tidbit of information ----- you must have discipline to play the trumpet --- else you will end up wasting your time here on TM!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Slide trumpet = Soprano trombone. I have one but it's strictly novelty only for me. Something I hadn't bet on its that slide position is way more critical with the shorter tubing than with a regular trom (well duh).

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Another thing. Keep things in the proper order while preparing to play. It can be very damaging if done in the wrong order. Open the case first, then take out the trumpet, put in the mouthpiece, then start to play. Any of those things done out of order, big trouble. Again, you are very welcome. That's what I'm here for.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and here is another fine tip from KINGTRUMPET --- when developing your embouchure it is all about - "small aperture (opening in the lips to push air through, a strong embouchure (and other useful face muscles) to be able to hold the small aperture, good use of air (whether that is volume, or speed, or such, is way too much for me to comment here) -- so you need STRONG outer embouchure (which I believe is helped by the doubling on a trombone) -- the lips around the aperture need to "freely vibrate" --ie. RELAXED lips, -- so most of trumpet playing is getting to that point -- ----------------------- Octave leaps and intervals also do wonders in the flexibility of attaining different notes in tune by just using air pressure and not adjusting lips (at least significantly)...

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and when you listen to this guy -- be sure -- to do a little warm up to get the blood flowing in the lips before you continue with STARTING TO PLAY. (and also don't forget to oil your valves also) -----