Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes -- keep this all in mind GM -- as I am catching up to you!!!!!! so when I call Eddie up and ask for an audition (tryout) with the same music that the great GM has to play, you had better bring your best stuff my friend!!! as I am catching you!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL (((OP -- there is a secret there!!! GM works hard to be a good trumpet player))) --- I work hard also!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ricardo, can you tell me or anyone else how to ride a bicycle or pick up a pencil? How to walk? The difficulties are the same when describing how to play the trumpet.

Trumpet playing is a mystical and esoteric art, much of which is occluded from the player.

The trick is to have a specific goals in mind: the pitch of the note, the attack, decay, sustain and release, the connection to the next note and from the last one all happening in real time and to be as much an observer as the observed.

Part of my goal as a teacher is to get my students outside the Aristotelian world that is imprinted on us and treat the trumpet as if it our voice. It has some Zen elements, but that is only to put us into "upside-down land" where we simply play and the sounds in our heads comes out the bell.

Playing the trumpet is not logical.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    One of my college professors told me playing a trumpet was like 63 different languages speaking erratically in a cacophony. It wasn't until several years later that I understood what he meant, then realized such applied to about each and every musical instrument. What a babble!

4. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Wow! you must of totally misunderstood ;no ones trying to avoid hard work Ive probably put in over 1000 hours in my horn in less then one year and was playing in a jazz band within the first six months of picking up the instrument, i was more so interested in peoples, individual breakthroughs to unlock certain things that were difficult for them to overcome. I thought i made it clear that every one has their own philosophy/secret i thought it would have been nice to share not give me all of that rhetoric i dont really care for I get enough of that. I hat being misunderstood and then given a smart remark for it. If I asked steve jobs whats the secret to success and he told me; there is no secret; Thats bull.... there is many secrets and some books I ve read revealed secrets in other aspects of life and have helped me in a great deal of things.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Did Sousa infuse Clarke with the secrets of freemasonry?
    I believe I learned well from another Sousa protégé without any hocus pocus dominocus. Too, I couldn't get out of practice at home in those early days.

6. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I didn't say music wasn't competitive (GMONADY )there are jazz competitions all the time I said I don't think it should be competitive in something like jazz because the way someone expresses themselves is just as valid as the next man. Analyzing someones skill is fine but how can you analyze soul. Music isn't all about robotics for me I think music is much deeper/greater that's all I'm saying. There are people who are great technicians but awful musicians, so the ability to outperform someone in some contest doesn't impress me on a musical level, only technical. So the question is are you kidding me, If you think music is about competition poor soul. The greats didn't get to be great by competing. Mozart, Charlie Parker -the genus of these guys was not derived from competing. Believe me a force we do not understand is responsible for the genius for guys like mozart , Coltrane , Duke Ellington etc.

Wow don't think I'm going to be getting much help here Ill stick to my usual gurus who have helped me greatly.. Apparently no one read through my whole post just skimmed through to make their smart rhetorical remarks.

Skill Talent and soul are three different elements. You can get by in classical without soul just fine but If you lack soul who cares about your skill alone, that separates the mathematicians from the Pharaoh Sanders. Wynton Marsalis plays 3rd trumpet in his big band who cares! Music isn't a sport!Whats better Mozarts Clarinet Concerto or Vivaldis for Seasons/ Who gives a crap any answer is opinion music is about honesty and expression, If you disagree and your more into robotics , theres alot of musical math you can do with computer software

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great summary by Vulgano Brother. (I wonder how many of us had to Google "Aristotelian". I did. :-))

There are certain general principles. But I think many of the things we might call "secrets" are incidental, and not generally beneficial to the rest of us. Whether it's a 20-minute-G, free buzzing, roll-in/roll-out, more air, faster air, or playing into a wall, it's all the same. If they work for you, that's great (as Gary noted). But the benefits are often incidental to these "secrets".

But since we're sharing secrets. The most helpful "secret" I've learned is not to beat up my chops. The state I leave them in today, is the same state I'm going to find them in tomorrow. And if you follow Honkie's "secret" about Clarke, you'd find something similar in the preface to the First Technical Study. It just took me 30 years to take it seriously.

Mike

8. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
  9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree 100%. It's not all mechanics.

10. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I totally agree. I know that I over-practice because. I'm quite obsessive when there is a problem I try to solve it even when I know its time to put the horn down saxophonists are so lucky; Coltrane would be solving problems and developing ideas between sets. A trumpet instructor advised taking the tuning slide out and buzzing on the horn as a warm up and it works pretty well. But to say there is no secrets is b-s; plenty of secrets are revealed in masterclasses that you wouldn't typically here from your average teacher/musician. Clark Terry is gonna know more than your 30 yr old trumpet teacher.He may suggest learning how to play the didgeridoo to learn circular breathing.

Maybe I should have labeled this Topic "Great Trumpet advise" or something because any time the word secret is mentioned, people get all Socrates on me.and Rhetoric 101 begins and advise is non-existent