Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    You're right that we might have read too much into "secret".

BTW, Pops McLaughlin is a fan of the didgeridoo. There's something for everyone. :-)

Mike

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ricardo, I find some of your remarks have been a slap in the face to a lot of fine, well-intentioned people here at TM. When it comes to "secrets" our community does a fine job of sharing them.

Truth is, there are no secrets, and beware those who try to sell them to you.

I did read your post. Practice and get better. Keep us updated on your progress.

3. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    One guy was being particularly rude, I really don't like it when people are close minded and think they have all the answers, there's a distinction between advise and snide remarks. intentions don't really mean much on the internet, I intended for a dialogue with advise which I got from maybe 3 gentlemen, sorry If I offended anybody I just hate when people try to belittle me; there's a lot of cool people on this board and a few douche-bags, who always have something rude to say/non- constructive. I do a see a bit of mild bullying on here sometimes, not so fun when it happens to you under the circumstance of misinterpretation .

I don't want to pull out the dictionary and be an A-hole but trumpet secrets do exist, I think your misinterpreting the meaning. i think we both can agree that there's people that can help you acquire tools to achieve something but don't want to and withhold it.
    But I also understand where your coming from wen you say there's no secrets , its all semantics man ; were all saying the same thing except for the music is a competition guy, that I don't agree with.

O believe me I haven't spent any money on books or non of that stuff, everything I've learned/acquired was given to me free by live human beings, videos, and books lent to me for free; I'm one of those guys who gets my hands on things that I want for as little cash as possible. Thanks to those who had something genuine to say.

4. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Absolutely but alot of people dont know about using things like that, to help them with breathing, alot of guys advocate the yoga breath which I think is awesome for compression; and I thinks its cool to share things like that, Im thankful for guys who shared info like that with ; J-HArnum and Charlie Porter helped me alot getting started on the trumpet.

Thanks My Fellow Marylander!

R. Stalwart

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ricardo - I have a secret that I willingly share - the trumpet plays me.

Chill my friend - we are not here to attack you, we would much rather draw you into our secret little TM world and help you prosper musically, and to suck your brains of course for our own nefarious purposes ;)

6. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think you need to take a little step back and re read your first post Ricardo. I had trouble deciphering your meaning at first and I am by no means stupid. You will find on here that you will catch many more flies with honey than vinegar. Your post did sound accusational, as though we were all keeping something from you which is something we do not do here. What you desribe as a secret does not exist, we all have our own method, slightly different in each case, that works for us. You also have tended to read what is actually meant as what I would call "warm sarcasm" as a personal attack. We can have heated discussions on here but it is never personal. It only becomes personal when we are getting a rise out of each other in fun (Coughs "Ashes").

The Secret as you call it is hard work and I do respect that you have already started down that line but also sifting through EVERY bit of advice you get and deciding whether it is right for you to add to your game.

I will however take exception to your comment that you can get by in classical music (trumpet playing) without soul. I am more classically minded and although I, perhaps, have to be more accurate with notes that some jazz (Not having a go at the jazzers here but you can't improvise the body of a concerto (taking cadenzas out of the eqaution), or something like the Goedicke) I play from the heart. To say that I could get away with out playing from the heart, ie without soul is unfair. I play so much better now for learning how to express my emotions with music after a 10 year semi pro opera career. Please feel free to note that the two are very different but to suggest one requires more "soul" than the other does feel vaguely insulting.

Please be careful about how you phrase things that is how you stir up a hornets nest.

7. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Andy. How mean of you to bring up the Ashes. I'm so disappointed.

:evil:

8. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Could be worse. He could have mentioned the Lions Tour too. ROFL

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Ricardo, I was deliberately broad and maybe a bit obtuse with my initial reply, but I really wanted to kick off the discussion because I am so grateful for all that I've learnt from TM. So... For what it's worth, the "secrets" that have paid back big time for me are 1. Take singing lessons 2.Learn to play guitar (or piano or some other polyphonic instrument). 1 helped me open my upper airways and play in freeer unrestricted way than previously. 2 gave me a far better basis for building improv and composition skills.

Regarding competitiveness, in my teens, my community brass band had 3 teenage cornets on the top row and competition was intense. By and large it was a good thing driving us all to work hard.

BTW, I found Charlie Porter's stuff on YouTube useful too, not sure if something on that medium is a secret.

Best of luck

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is what you said Ricardo:

You did say that. How are we going to be able help you when you are so defensive? Listen to our Moderator, step back, count to 10, do something such that you don't let your anger get the better of you. You will never progress to the level you are capable of with anger in your heart.