Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You don't think Mozart, Parker, Coltrane, Ellington were competitive? You don't believe that having a competitive edge is a part of your soul?

soul

/sōl/

Soul:
    Noun
    A person's moral or emotional nature or sense of identity.

Man, if you do not compete among others, how can you get your own feeling for a sense of identity, or where you fit among others. The fibers of person's moral identity is about interacting in life and competition is an important fiber to that being. There are many other fibers that contribute, experiencing love, hate, acceptance, rejection. But competition is something that all the individuals you mentioned had as a fiber of their being.

You know, in T-ball, there are no winners or losers. You put a ball up on an inanimate object and take a swing. No pitcher to challenge the batter, no chance for the batter to experience how to adjust to the arch of a curve ball, or the hover of a knuckle ball. Competition here is being able to react with another human, challenging you with the chance to improve on a skill. That is experience. That is how we develop soul. Until you come to realize these truths, may the Lord have Mercy on your Soul.

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I want to know who burned those bails in the first place?

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Funny, I think Bud Herseth said there are no secrets also. There are, however, many different practice techniques.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    There are no secrets.

There are skills that are learned by all successful trumpet players.

Some people learn skills on their own. Some people learn by observing band-mates. And the really smart ones takes
    lessons from really good teachers and learn them quickly and properly.

And then there are those that spend endless hours on trumpet forums discussing those skills with others who
    may or may not know their bell from their butt. ;-)

5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    My own opinion here - but I believe people are competitive. Music itself is not.

Music is an expression of inner soul - an expression of how we feel about our surroundings - what we're feeling inside - how we see things.
    Once the chair tryouts are done, the seat positions are set and the orchestra (or band or whatever) starts to play - there is a true spirit of cooperation rather than a spirit of competition (unless it's called for in the music).

Again - my own opinion.

Now about these "secrets"...

I don't believe there's any way we could come up with a list of what we've done through the years to achieve our own level of success that is on the tips of our tongues (other than lessons, practice, listen to the pros, play with better players, etc.).

There are so many events, "aha moments" and gradual learnings that contribute to how we play and how we've learned to play. Not a checklist of items that, if all completed, equal success.

I try to impart as much of my own learnings as possible to my students, but always with the caveat that "this is what worked for me" as opposed to "this is how it's done." And even then it's lost on many of them because they don't yet have the motivation or passion to play better (most are middle-schoolers). And of course I'm still learning every day.

Ricardo - I would recommend a good instructor - preferably a professional working trumpeter as well - to help get the best out of you.
    From there only you can reveal those secrets that make you a better musician.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I have one secret for you: time spent watching TV and blogging on the internet is time not spent practicing, listening, networking, learning. Another secret: time that has gone by never comes back.

Use these secrets as well as you can...

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I've been pondering the competitive aspects of trumpet playing and agree with gmonady: playing the trumpet is very competitive. Yeah, most of us have grown out of the "I can play louder higher faster than you" adolescent phase, but still, even after earning a seat in a chair by audition things are still very competitive.

We compete with ourselves, and as we mature we discover that "louder higher faster" has merit but so does lower softer slower. We learn to absorb portions of other players' skills and abilities and hopefully humility as well. The best players are often the most humble, because they are so good they can be at peace with themselves.

The problem with "secrets" to playing the trumpet is that putting kinesthetic events into words doesn't work well, because the words themselves are too vague.

In grad school I immersed myself into Zen Buddhism for a couple of semesters, not for a religious experience but do examine pedagogy they use. I got it, sort of, in that I could read the literature (mostly written by Westerners) and have it make sense.

My "secret" is that I regard the playing of the trumpet a mystic event.

8. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    Nicely stated.

One overall "secret" I can offer (my own opinion, of course) is that we should strive to play Music with our trumpet - and that we're not "trumpet players," but Musicians who use our trumpets to make music. Once we look at playing in this way, we are able to think less about the trumpet itself as a barrier to success, and more as a conduit, tool, or means to a goal - making music.

One poster suggested learning piano or voice. I found that all I learned from piano (15 years of playing and performing) helped me as a musician more than any amount of practice could. Listening to music - trumpet or not - is key as well.

Practice makes us proficient on our instrument, but experience and passion (soul?) makes us better musicians and trumpeters.

9. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    O internet discussions, anoother misunderstanding, if there is an orchestra with 50 people, the conductor could care less about vibrato or your individuality, he wants the same sound for just about everybody but the soloist, you can put your soul into it, but I watch alot of concerts, and alot of guys look like they left their soul at home and as a whole the orchestra still sounds pretty good, but in jazz it actually sounds bad to me, because its largely based on improv, classical music is more so based on whats on the paper. There are bad asses who are the exception like this guy Martin Fröst, Mozart Clarinet Concerto part 1 - YouTube and he had the pleasure of playing with a really fine orchestra, you can really tell the difference when your supporting cast is as into the music as you are.Believe me there are plenty of robotic jazz musiciand who went to school and sound like they went to jazz school. its nice to know you play from the soul man; I was refferening to something like a quintet for jazz where it would show alot; IN something like a four string situation in classical you wouldnt survive 30 sec without , soul, skill and talent! and it would probably be 100 times more embarrassing if you know what I mean.

I think I need to hire an editor, because deciphering internet attiude is a task, but I surely know when Im being insulted haha.

10. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Now how do you get it to do that, Wayne Shorter managed to get his horn to do that, it would probably take at least a decade to accomplish that;

I only hope the entire board doesn't think I was attacking them I just felt misunderstood and wanted to clear my purpose of the post up rather then get a bunch clever remarks ; its all love; over time its acceptable to be sarcastic and a bit of an A-hole to somebody you know, but I'm still kind of a newbie and anything that's not constructive or helpful can come off as rude to me because Im still getting to learn the variety of personalities one here; who the joke-sters are etc.

Good Luck Trying To Suck This Brain my professors and Teachers have been colluding to do so since grade school, it didn't work out so well.