Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Nice man! ; Im also thinking of taking up singing, a common misconception about singing is that it is innate and you cant develop a decent singing voice. As far as competition is concerned, theres nothing wrong with auditioning for a lead spot, or something like that but I dont think trying to kick someones ass in music should be the impetus for making music; I think I just think of music as an art and surely Vangogh would of lost all art competitions in his time , so I dont care about that stuff, Im sure it could be fun, but it would be like a friendly match to me because the competitive aspect could compromise the more important soul/musical aspects of the performance, of course this is all opinionated; every body views music differently; Im not saying your wrong and Im right thats just what I believe.

2. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    There's a difference between I don't think music should be competitive ; and music is not competitive. It actually implies that music is competitive and I disagree with that aspect. Reread again and you'll understand .

3. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Your entitled to that opinion, I think thats ego(opinion) if you have to derive your sense of identity from being better than someone else. Be the best you can be, dont worry about kicking someones ass. Pharaoh Sanders is probably one of the best examples of that. Coltrane was not competitive at all he treated everyone like equals, ask any body who knows any thing about Trane, he was obsessive about the music, trying to unlock codes, being honest with himself thats how he excelled; and natural;;y he seemed so much better then everyone else but it wasn't his intention; he didn't act as if he was getting a kick out of it- he was humble. This argument is largely semantic; I think we both have our own set of beliefs and this has become a debate, which sometimes can be fun , but the vibes are a little off today haha.

4. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Haha, Interesting but lets not neglect the benefit of getting things wrong and figuring out on your own Clark Terry couldn't afford lessons or a trumpet and tried to make and play one himself. But teaching yourself could be worse because you have to reprogram all the bad habits you acquired, but I suppose there are pro's and cons for everything. But for me mistakes are actually a great way to accomplish understanding. I thought this DVD was pretty cool when I was trying to understand the physics aspect of trumpet playing
    Amazon.com: John Thomas: Trumpet Secrets Revealed: John Thomas: Movies & TV -----------------of course I got it for free haha!

5. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Wow I think thats the best anyone could of said it "people are competitive. Music itself is not." There's no better feeling then those "aha" moments its like unlocking a code in a video game that's what I was really getting at, that damn word secret through alot of people off leading into debate rather then helpful posts like this thanks man much appreciated !!!!!

6. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Absolutely but I think you can be an awesome trumpet player and a bad musician. Thats why I emphasized music isnt a competition and not trumpet playing is a competition. I tend to like trumpet players who are artists and not just good trumpet players, everyone has their own preference, thats just mine; one of my favorites actually said this and it changed the way I Look at it "I want people to remember me as a great artist, not just a good trumpet player"

7. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Please understand there is a world of difference between insulting you personally and insulting what you are saying. Some of your points have been a little inflamatory. I personally will never (well with the exception of certain aussies in Ashes Summers and I fully expect to get a barage after the Oval today) insult people on here. I might take exception to what they are saying and can be quite forcefull in the way I do it but it is never personal in the way you seem to think you are being treated.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ricardo, I honestly don't know if it makes the time it takes to answer your posts worth it. Here is some truth:

1. There are no secrets, only concepts that are difficult to verbalize.
    2. We learn by emulation, just like the rest of social animals.
    3. Classical music has as much or more "soul" than other genres.

At best, trumpet playing can bring us to what Robert Pirsig called "the High Country of the mind." We only get there by following in the footsteps of others. The map they left us are things like the Arban book, or countless other methods. We listen like crazy.

I get the feeling like you are "hearing" Ricardo, but not listening.

TM is a community and not a conspiracy. When a bunch of members agree we can pretty much count it as truth. are you asking for your own learning, or are you trying to impose your views on us?

I dunno.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  9. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    :zzz:

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I have to do this "I want never gets"