Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I was making a point I was joking. My point is that we often misunderstand each other on the internet because its not the purest form of communication. Alot of guys were actually quite helpful , can we not drag this stuff anymore. I know I have to be more careful with words because people get offended based on how they interpret things so I have to phrase things more carefully, hopefully people will also do the same because , there were also snobby remarks given 2; human nature I guess. i got nothing but love for the next man!!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    OK. Here are my secrets. Music consists of Pitch, Rhythm and Style. Just play the right note in tune at the right time. Style is all about the shape of the notes. Easy, right?

How are you going teach yourself to learn pitch? How are you going to you teach yourself to learn rhythm? How are you going to teach yourself style?

That is what we do, teach ourselves. When we encounter problems we seek help. That is one of the reasons TM exists.

3. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Its not likely some guy with 50 post is going to have a huge effect on a community that quickly, most of us have seen a Disney movie it never works out that way that quickly haha. I dont think any bodies right if its based on some made up belief system its largely opinion. But there also is the possibility that many people can be right about the same thing. O dear I hope you don't think that I think classical music lacks soul. I just think your less likely to be invited to play in a jazz quintet with no soul then you are in a large orchestra if your a master of your instrument but kind of callous. The same applies for big band jazz there's guys who just come read the notes on the page , get there check . I dont really think one genre is superior to another; its just one expressing themselves from their unique avenue/collection of influences. Classical music influenced jazz and vice verca, it kinda sounds snobby now that I think of it if you interpret my that statement a certain way.

4. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    HAha if you think Ambrose Akinmusire is a great artist/trumpet player your entitled to that opinion I guess. Tyshawn Sorey, Jason moran, those guys are geniuses they really approach th music as an art form, so I gues they're exceptions to the " I want never gets" at least in my opinion.

5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    These people are people who have worked damned hard to have the right to say things like that. They have earned the right to that statement. Have you?

6. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I did'nt I quoted someone who did because I admire them and agree with how they feel about music; I dont need to be a musical genius to agree . If he said Im going to make people remember me as an artists not a trumpet that would sound super weird. Please stop trying to fight with me, I have my opinions you have yours, isnt that the beauty of a healthy argument/opinion?

7. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Imagine how much time you could have spent practicing versus posting!

8. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I actually practice to much man several hours a day man I drive my family crazy,people always say rest as much as you play; I greatly appreciate your suggestion but it doesn't apply, and my job wouldn't be to happy if I brought it here, so my kindle fire will do. I was just trying to clear up some of the stuff I said because it was misinterpreted by some which of course is partially my fault due to phrasing/diction.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Do you drive your family crazy when you're playing, or when you're taking a break from playing?

:lol: - just to be clear, that is meant as a gentle joke.

A tip, (or secret if you like) to respond to the title of your thread, that has helped me with my tone/sound is to record on a pretty good quality sound recorder my practice sessions and play (key parts) of them back to myself before my next session.

--bumblebee

10. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Haha I wish I was so good that it drove people crazy when I stopped playing , Ive actually recorded tons of practice sessions from day 1 to now on my iphone . Its an amazing way to track your progress, I'm not sure if i should destroy some of the things I did back during the first month so no one stumbles over it 10 years from now if you know what I mean lol ROFL
    At a masterclass I attended David Sanchez says sometimes he records sessions where he thought he was playing one of his better to find out that it sounded like "sh.."

And I actually misinterpreted your joke lol now I know what you meant by that ...!