Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    You certainly are a very tenacious individual. I am getting an upset stomach reading all this. I can stop. I will.

Sethoflagos likes this.
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think you don't need a dictionary -- but if you want real secrets here they are ------ besides the trumpet, learn the keyboard/piano --- besides the trumpet, also double on the trombone (you will find some of the finest trumpet players ever -- played both instruments proficiently -- Maynard Ferguson and the Aussie James Morrison are 2 that come to mind

the trombone will build "the other face muscles" that are also used to support the trumpet embouchure --- the trombone will help you with your controlled breathing and phrasing for the trumpet - you will learn how to "find more air" for you trumpet, which will actually help you with "EVERYTHING" from low notes below the staff, to the high range, and also long passages where there is no good place to breath)

you need to do LONG TONES (at least 3 times a week for at least 20 minutes each time - long tones in the staff) - this will help with breathing, endurance and range ---- (you are building/toning your embouchure without killing it with overplaying)

YOU WANT SECRETS? --- you need to have little or no pressure on the mpc, just enough to make it seal on your lips --- you also have to know how to not only make a pedal tone on the trumpet, but you need to be able to play a tune down there with control!!! --
    Light, to little or no pressure on your lips to the horn mpc will do wonders for your playing

ps. if you tell me you already know how to do the light pressure, and your good at it (like you indicate on some other posts that you may be a good trumpet player) ---- then you need no further help from me!!!!

you practice too much???? now Doc Severinsen practices on the average of 6 hours a day -- so if your not doing at least 6 hours ----- then it ain't enough!!!!! IMHO (don't get mad at that advice, cause many blokes on TM will disagree with DOC Severinsen also) -- now play and be happy, you now have a few secrets -- that NO ONE ELSE HAS BOTHERED TO SHARE WITH YOU --- well except KT here, I willingly shared this with you!!!!!

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Competition in music! What is that? You don't like how I play ... go away. I play only for the personal enjoyment of it ... that some others seem to like it is just coincidental. Want me to teach you to become a pro, go elsewhere, I do not expect to now live long enough to teach you that ... but with all the knowledge and ability to be a pro does not mean you'll be successful. I don't think most TMers would recommend playing a musical instrument as a career. I didn't!

4. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks Mate! Very interesting Trombone Shorty is also quite a trumpet player and trombonist ; I was reluctant to play trombone , because I still am developing embouchure discipline and even though the mouthpiece is just bigger I didn't want to take the chance, maybe Ill by a student model down the line to fool around with.

As far as practice is concerned ; I practice about 4hrs a day, but I'm still working on how to come up with the best itinerary for me , most guys say you can't get that from a book. The minimal pressure method fascinates me but it takes a while to program yourself that way is there any specific things /materials you read ? Or was it all experimentation?

5. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    I was responding to someone who thinks competition in music is important and I disagreed ,however I agree the music industry is tuff and not what it , seems I'm not even thinking about that stuff much I'm just focusing on the music and developing so that I could better express my self

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ricardo, can you let go of this internal anger eating away at you? Your competition is within yourself, its dysfunctional and it's going to destroy you. I am a university professor. I try to convince kids like you to withdrawal until they have matured to the point where they really know what they want. Do consider withdrawing, do yourself and your professors a favor, please.

Sethoflagos likes this.
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND this is why you are so angry with yourself and frustrating your professors. You have sentenced yourself to mediocrity.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Omg I was totally kidding mate , he was being encouraging I was just implying that I'm a difficult pupil to mold I think Ur bias towards me skewed Ur analyzation of my statement. Sorry if u misinterpreted that. ; many teachers tried to tell me that Columbus discovered America ; I would ask ; didn't the native Americans do that? That's what I mean I ask a lot of questions to a lot of different people and take what I think is good and leave what I think is bad ; the funny thing is that I'm actually a very easy going guy , I guess I'm bad at projecting that on message boards.Many schools are producing drones for musicians telling all people who want to be jazz trumpeters to listen to miles Davis and go to sleep, we'll what about Allen Vezutti or lee Morgan or Freddie Hubbard ? I'm very difficult to brainwash but I'm open to all ideas / philosophies ; I adopt what I think is right

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Play the best you can and enjoy doing so. When you reach my age (77) you'll realize much solace in still being able to.

10. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Ok I guess I will be mediocre forever because I don't view music as a competition. You win man ; I m not here to fight you man, your entitled to that opinion , it's scared me that you don't see the possibility that good music isn't produced under largely under the chains of competition . I could participate in a music competition but the last thing on my mind is trying to be better than the other trumpet players, I'm thinking about being relaxed and honest , I don't know why this troubles u so much