Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks a million mate , I'm sure you withhold a library worth of wisdom ,good luck to you , I hope I still have functioning lungs when I'm your age , so I could still gig like greats still do Wayne shorter , Benny golden etc

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When your lungs don't function ... you're dead. Having had a cigarette habit for a number of years, I'm now diagnosed with COPD and have undergone a triple heart bypass. Such is a warning! Such was a factor that was in the mix for me to sell my tuba (but now and then I borrow it back). Still, I frequently play euphonium, F Mellophone, flugelhorn (pre-owned, but new to me) cornet, Bb trumpet, and Schilke P5-4 piccolo trumpet and mix/dub them all together to create a CD repertoire, mostly oldies (some very old ... 100 years plus) and hymns. Also I'm a Sousa "nut". Yeah, when that time comes (as it most certainly will), that I cannot play, I can sit about and listen to myself. Perhaps some others would like to listen also.

3. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Wow you live and you learn that's where the wisdom comes in I guess , I wish you good health my friend ;
    And let me know where I can get my copies haha !

4. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Ok. Performing on an instrument is competitive. And healthy! How else would one strive to play better today than the day before? How else would one try to emulate one's idol and grow upon that wisdom? If you are not competing, you are not growing, evolving as a musician, you are treading water, running in place, etc.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Ed, my oldest Cystic Fibrosis Patient just turned 75 years old this week... I believe he is the oldest living CF patient. He still skies regularly (yearly) in Colorado. Just got him out of the hospital for a "tune up" AND his pulmonary functions on discharged increased by 5% over his baseline. I would like to believe it's because he has a great doctor.... but I really know the reason he is doing so well is because he loves life... (and listens to his great doctor... sometimes)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    God I hope so, you're too young to be an old fart like myself.

As for bias... I am gifted in detecting bias... that is my job... I have developed tests for bias (see Doctor Evidence who hired me as a consultant to do this)... AND do check out my latest Cochrane Publication, just came out last month... I kicked the bias right out of the researcher that we had based our 2010 Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes Practice Guidelines published in December 2010 journal - Diabetes. I am really going to catch hell for that... but that is my job... to detect and report bias.

I try to keep an open mind about you... really I do. Maybe it's the how you communicate in writing... I read what I see you write... then I find, you mean something else... This isn't bias... I am just trying to get to know you better.

Seriously... welcome to TM... and do try to love and be kind to your old fart university professors... try not to mess with our minds... there are already twisted neuro-fibril bundles that have developed over our years of attempted deep thinking, and we certainly do not want any thing to happen to accelerate the process. I mean holy Toledo... Even Vulgano Brother is starting to make sense to me... Lord take me now!!!

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    ABSOLUTELY!!!

Which is why I love to run with my saying... "Practice makes perfect; but nobody's perfect, so why practice?
    The answer: Because the motivated performer will always strive to reach perfection, and when achieving that initially perceived goal realizes perfection yet exists... so sets the bar higher... and it repeats again and again... INTERNAL competition... and once we deceive ourselves to the point that we feel we have achieved perfection... Well then it's game over... God, I hope I NEVER get to that point... I love playing the trumpet way too much.

kingtrumpet likes this.
  8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    A reason (though I love mountains) that I've never understood mountaineering. Once you've done Everest, life has no further interest, innit?

9. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Where's the famous Mendez rabbit with pancake hat when we need it? :-)

10. RicardoStalwart

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks Mate , I study public health so I know all about that crap, limitations controlling for this and that blah blah blah , I don't know how you do it researchers are often scared to say anything for fear of retribution. And there's plenty of wolves ready to rip your study to shreds ,My professors actually love me. I challenge them and they challenge me. the pupil student relationship goes both ways and I think that's just beautiful!!