Trumpet Secrets!!!!!! The mysterious phenomenon I don't Understand

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RicardoStalwart, Aug 20, 2013.

1. RicardoStalwart

RicardoStalwart Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2012
    Maryland
    That's a fine opinion sir, i strive to be better from the day before as well, that's a thrive for improvement /growth. Improvement and growth can exist in music without competing with other musicians (note; competing and jamming r 2 diff things). You might thrive on competition , that doesn't mean everyone does. Especially in the arts. Competition can be limiting to some I know many musicians who do/did terrible at auditions, but under circumstances of focusing on the music and being honest with who they are and not trying to outplay their peers, brought tears to peoples eyes.

Of course you can compete on an instrument , you can compete in range or a bunch of ridiculous things, How the heck do you compete musically assuming technique/skill/talent is present. if I ask you whose your favorite musician on the trumpet you should say who ever the best is, because why wouldn't you like the best right? Why is your best not my best; whose best is the real best musician(not trumpet player)? It doesn't work that way cause we all are attracted to the soul of the artist we can relate to which cant be rated or scaled by some arbitrary tool.

If your referring to internal competition then this was a big misunderstanding because competition usually entails the presence of other people . Motivation and competition are also to different things, i can hear a musician and think damn I wanna play like that I'm not competing with him, I may not even exist to him h/her how can I compete with them? O dear ! Diction!

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG]

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Uh-oh - you just gave the jaw-stretch secret away!!!

--bumblebee

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    The REAL secret is out!

[​IMG]

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ricardo - enough of the crap - sit in your section, after the appropriate amount of practice, and make THE OTHERS sound great. That will make YOU a GREAT trumpeter.

BigDub likes this.
  6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Here's another secret: acting like you are more mature, intelligent and proficient than you actually are is a great way
    to make people think you are a troll.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    My competition is myself....

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I would say you must be happy with a tie for all your games........Don't jump out of your chair, now. Just kidding......easy, there, I understand completely what you mean.

And to those who claim to be self-taught, you can now compete with your teacher too.

9. Avan

Avan New Friend

Mar 9, 2012
    Well, after all is said and done !!

THERE STILL IS NO SECRET !!!!!!!!!!!!

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Nah Big Dub, Tie's don't work for me, I'm pretty competative....it does make it easier when you only compete with yourself though !