Trumpet shop ideas ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    In my line of work I can never get away from home for more than a couple days .

But I'm thinking of doing a trumpet safari ,now the rub is that I live near the edge of Nowhere , at least for anything music related .

I'm trying to think if i should make a trek to try a few horns (seems like that's the advice everyone gives ).

So I'm in North Eastern Nebraska ,any ideas of a Trumpet shop that I could drive too in a few hours ?

Possibly I could make Kansas City or Des Moines ? Denver is probably to far 12-13 hours ,and Texas would be a stretch .

So i thought I would ask the folks here ,If you have a favorite or one that could help a dummy I'd Appreciate a recommendation .

There is a College town in Dakota ,but I seem to always get the 20-something girls/guys working there and they know almost nothing :evil:.

Would really like a place that has both new and used ,and some I could try out .:play:.

Thanks all

Dean_0

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    How about Thompson Music in Elkhorn Nebraska? Probably one of the biggest collections of trumpets anywhere.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Del Quadro Custom Trumpets
    Micheal Del Quadro is in Kansas. I flew from Charlotte to Denver and once we flew over Missouri, looked like pure desolation / isolation. Eastern Colorado reminded me of the moons surface. Hope some more good info comes your way.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    is Dietze Music in Lincoln still open? Granted, it's been a couple of decades since I've been in there, but the last time I was, they had a pretty decent selection of everything, and it wouldn't be too tough of a jaunt - 2 hours or so probably.

It's nice to meet a fellow Nebraskan here on the board.

6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Big thanks guy's :

Deitze is still in operation ,and may be on the trip as well .

Thompson music looks like just the kind of place I want ,and it's not far :D ,dunno why but the interweb let me down on this one ?

I see a trip in my future :cool:

Happy Bugling :lol::play:

Dean_0

7. RRVancil

RRVancil Piano User

Sep 24, 2009
    Littleton, Colorado
    Hi Dean_0,

Thompson Music is a great place. I've been to them a couple of times. I suggest you call ahead to make sure they've got a good selection of horns in stock. When I was there, they didn't have much.

You may want to look at Schmitt Music in Minneapolis. The manager of the trumpet shop is very knowledgeable and a player. Take a look at his profile on Schmitt's website. Their inventory seems huge.

Trumpet Shop | Minneapolis, Minnesota Trumpet Store | Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Piccolo, Trumpet Accessories | Schmitt Music Co.

Don't waste your time thinking about Denver.

Good luck.

Rick

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Call ahead ? ,,Great Idea ! ,,I'm sure Schmitt Music is a good place ,Minneapolis is just too far right now. I decided the same thing on Denver .

Thanks Rick

Dean_0

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Follow -up

The trip to Elkhorn (Thompson Music) was today, What a great time I had! They let me play about 7 trumpets including a 10,000 $ Monet :shock:.

Maybe not a big to deal to some of you but I was surprised ,what a great sounding horn :cool: ! a tad heavy for my taste, but what a great sound.

I got to play a New Shilke ,an older Bach Strad ,a Bach 7 ,and several others that he had there. I was real shy about playing at first but Mike made me feel relaxed and took most of the afternoon with me ,we talked about trumpets ,Flugels and playing in general He even gave me some tips on practice ,and showed me things that I hadn't known before .

Also during the time I was there the horn Tech was floating in and out and I got to discuss a couple of my horns with him ,which ended up fixing my 29 Holton ,and straightening the bell on my 22 B which I didn't notice was out of line ,I'm sry I have forgotten his name ,but he was a huge help .

My intention was to bring home either a new trumpet or if I could find one I liked ,maybe a Flugel ?
    So I tried out 2 there, a Kanstul with copper bell and a older Couesnon Star Paris ,I really wanted the Kanstul but just liked the sound of the Paris better :-) it sure is true that the horn finds you , The Kanstul was the first thing I saw when I walked in ,and I heard a little voice in my head say, your going home with me :evil: , but after playing each one several times I just had to get the Couesnon .

The cool factor only goes so far .:lol:

A new Bach 1 1/2 c flugel M/p and a Protec hard sided case rounded out the set and I couldn't get home fast enough to play it ,I did play it for about an hour when I got home , I think I may have found a new Friend ? :play:

Anyway thanks to Ivan ,Rowuk for the heads-up :worthy:

Already planning my next visit .......maybe I'll see some of you there ? :bravo:

Dean_0

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    THAT is what TRUMPETMASTER is all about! Someone needs something and asks, they get first hand advice, take it and discover something for the rest of their lives.

The best is yet to come: you now have a semi local tech that 1) you trust 2) you are not afraid to ask and 3) that knows how you play. You have the beginnings of a relationship for the rest of your life! That will easily be worth more than the coin that you drop there for instruments.

p.s. I also have a thing for female french accents and the Couesnon is called La Trompette!