Trumpet shop ideas ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Jun 27, 2014.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    My answer? May sound crazy but with the crazy cheap prices you can get on airline tickets if you watch for them I'd buy myself a ticket to Boston so that I could visit the trumpet Mecca of the world... Austin Custom Brass! Trent always has a huge selection of horns, is very knowledgable and is SUPER nice. Just sayin' :)

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Sounds like you had a great time, Dean_0. Sounds like a neat place. I've bought a few things from them by mail, and they seem like great folks.

3. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
  4. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    I have watched local Craigslist ads for trumpets and flugelhorns. It is amazing what comes out of the attics of local patrons ... I have bought 4 older horns and a nearly new pocket trumpet in the past year. My suggestion is that you place your own Craigslist ad saying that you want to buy a trumpet and/or flugel ... and let them come to you. You might be pleasantly surprised.

PS: In my own safari last year I ended up buying a mint Kanstul 1525 flugel used from Craigslist ... and am extremely happy with it.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Cost on that C'list 1525??? ;-)

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dean did it the right way in my opinion. He got a horn from a respected dealer with a respected workshop. He has someone not so far away when the going gets tough. You do not get that with Craigslist. Granted, you can get "lucky" with various horns, but it is exactly that.

Not everything can be measured by the price!

7. drmctchr

drmctchr Pianissimo User

Mar 19, 2012
    Hi tobylou8 ... I paid $1600 plus shipping of about $80. It was from Portland, Oregon (600 miles away), so I bought the horn without testing it personally. However, I had tried the 1525 at the Kanstul factory and seller seemed to be a very reputable music teacher/pit musician in Portland ... so I gambled and it turned out to be a winner. I live out in the country in Montana ... but even her there have been strads appear on Craigslist.

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    This is what I was trying to express in my original post ,having been the victim of a couple of shady deals in online auctions, I really wanted to get a feeling for different horns without the buyers remorse.

Not to say that I haven't found gems online without playing first but,so many more things come from a face-to-face with like minded people.

A small example is the Flugel that I got would have never been on my want list ,I had the Kanstul or more likely the Carol Brass Blackhawk in my future ,but as things go some times ,this horn just felt and sounded like I thought it should .

Also to have a tech who could fix a bent bell and relax the brace with no evidence of repair all while i was there is huge !!! Completely refreshing from the other places I've been ,,,,,,I really need to find his name ;-)

Thanks to All
    What a great place we have here :D:D

Dean_0

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Was the tech Stephan Garmon?

10. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE