Trumpet Shopping Advice (Wanted)

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bugler997, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Manny,
    I'm currently a Freshman college student, a performance major). I own a Bb and a C, and am thinking of buying a piccolo or an Eb, once my grades improve (I'll consider my first semester a learning experience).

I'll discuss with my instructor as to whether I should get a pic or Eb, but could you be so kind as to give me some advice on what brand/bore/shank (cornette vs. trumpet)/&c. I should get, for either?

The upperclassmen recommend Schilke for both, but they keep trying to convert me to not using Monette mouthpieces (I REFUSE to use any other mouthiece), so that's something we don't agree on already, as far as desirable tone qualities go.

Thanks for your time, and keep up the great work,
    Aaron

P.S. Sorry, I write too much when I'm tired. =P

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Bugler,

I'm sorry to disappoint you but please understand that I don't like to get into "go get this brand or that brand horn" and I am completely uneducated when it comes to bore sizes and the like because it is inconsequential to me. I wouldn't know what a typical large bore vs. small bore was if you had a gun to my head.

My criteria are that:

1) the mouthpiece and horn combo allow me to play without using false fingerings
    2) the sound must be rich (fat and brilliant)
    3) it allows me to play a very wide range of dynamics without worrying about pitch
    4) it must be mechanically very solid
    5) the high register must very open and easy

Those are a few of my favorite things...

ML

3. Bugler997

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Manny,

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep those criteria in mind next time I go shopping.

Yeah, I agree with you totally on everything... (you know). However, I mostly play Monette prana mouthpieces for the superior tone, and consider the superior response characteristics as side effects.

Also, I found out (very) recently that my parents will be moving to Wisconsin (from Virginia). So maybe I'll be able to attend a concert and go drinking afterwards, after all (I know you posted that *somewhere* here).

Are there any good buying/repair shops in the area?

Thanks once again for the replies,
    Aaron

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yes. Give me a call when you get into town. The number at Orchestra hall is 612 371 5626. Leave a message.

ML

5. Bugler997

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Off-topic, but I don't want to make a new thread:

I just got through listening to some clips of you guys, from the Orchestra website, and you guys are awesome!

I guess I never thought much because Windplayer magazine did something regarding the "top 10," and "Minnesota" wasn't mentioned. But I say that you guys rock, and I can't wait to hear you all.

-- Aaron

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Aaron,

That's only because the editors over there are idiots.

ML