Trumpet shopping in Moscow(Russia)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kamyar, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Kamyar

Kamyar New Friend

Jun 2, 2014
    Hi all,

Just joined to trumpetmaster.I'm going to visit Moscow(Russia) in next month, I need to know:

1- Can I find any pocket trumpet such as Con-Selmer(or any other brands except chineese!) up there?
    2- Is there Brass center or any specific places for shopping trumpet and accessories?
    3- Generally , Is there any trumpet made of Russia? If so, what about quality? Does it worth to buy?

Your help would be greatly apreciated,

Best,

Kamyar

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Welcome to TM, Kamyar. Sorry, I know nothing about trumpet shopping in Moscow. One suggestion, though. Should you find a store with several different trumpets available, try them with an open mind. Perhaps you will find one that really appeals to you.

Jim

3. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    The only pocket trumpet currently made by [for] Conn-Selmer is the Prelude PT711 - it is made in China, but I hear it is better than most $99 Chinese horns

I do know there are trumpets [usually rotaries] made in St. Petersburg, but I don't know about their quality...

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    1. Kutuzovskiy prospect near metro, next door to Citi bank, "Blues brothers"
    2. Very famous - near TsUM, the name escaped me, Petrovka str or Neglinnaya str. And another Yamaha on Neglinnaya very close to that place
    3. Leningradskiy prospect - "Accord" near Dinamo metro st.
    4. you have to go to Bol'shaya Nickitskaya where conservatory is.

Here some recommendations from someone living there. I would not get your hopes up on good deals. Russian friends of mine generally buy in "west" Europe because it is much less expensive.

5. Kamyar

Kamyar New Friend

Jun 2, 2014

Have you got any experience with this Prelude PT711?Does it worth to buy?Why Conn-Selmer does not produce by it self instead of having China to make?

6. Kamyar

Kamyar New Friend

Jun 2, 2014
    Certainly,I will check out YAMAHA for buying Silent Brass,any suggestion for SB7-9 or SB7X?

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Try and ask DiaxII. He's living in these parts.

8. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I do not have any experience with the Prelude yet - I plan on trying one out and comparing it to my 1996 Musica [Jupiter 416 stencil, Taiwan]. A friend who has played both my Musica and the Prelude says he prefers the Musica. Hopefully I will have a video made by the end of this month where I compare the two.

I think Conn-Selmer has Prelude made in China to a price point, plus they have them made with the same parts [in the same series] as the other Prelude instruments [instead of ordering generic horns and stenciling them]...or something along those lines.

9. Kamyar

Kamyar New Friend

Jun 2, 2014
    Huumm, so if Jupiter is at least in Conn-Selmer Prelude level, may be it's better for me to go for Jupiter 416.

10. ConnDirectorFan

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Maybe, maybe not - one person's opinion may not match another person's, especially with instruments like pocket trumpets, since they aren't always consistently in tune or best built...or, in the case you can't try a horn, my system is to read as many reviews as possible on a given model of horn, watch videos, and then looks for the cheapest second-hand example [in playable shape] on eBay. $100 for a Jupiter 416 stencil was fantastic - but the intonation is all over the place, by design, it seems.

Best of luck in your search - and I second the idea of contacting DiaxII