Trumpet Slide material, Nickel Silver vs. brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MrRage, Nov 21, 2011.

1. MrRage

MrRage New Friend

Nov 19, 2011
    I noticed trumpets use sometime use Nickel Silver instead of Yellow Brass,Rose Brass and other types of brass for slides. Does the Nickel Silver provide any benefits other than looking nice?

It could just boil down to just a maintenance issue but do brass slides have a disposition of being harder to use over time? The slides on my Yamaha YTR-2320 is pretty hard to use, yet a 10 year old Getzen 390 I saw that had Nickel Silver slides worked flawlessly.

2. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I know that certain metals over the ENTIRE horn can lead to a brighter or darker sound, but as far as making a slide work better? I think that you just witnessed well maintained slides.

Addition: However since nickel is a harder metal, it may prove to withstand force that softer brass can't, and therefore maintain its shape better. I know even a small dent can sometimes render a slide useless for practical purposes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    One reason for nickel silver outer slides is resistance to denting. Another reason is the theory that similar metals will tend to bond together, while dissimilar metals won't. Considering that lots of brass instruments have brass inner and outer slide tubes that, with only a bit of maintenance, don't stick, I don't worry too much about metal bonding.

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    It is much easier to un-stick nickle inner slides than it is brass inner slides.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    In Buescher's propaganda, they claim that brass against nickel silver was better for sliding. They claim to have used nickel-silver tubing "on all points of wear."

Regardless of that, nickel-silver and brass mixed sure is pretty.

Tom