Trumpet slides leaking water

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Brent McBugler, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Brent McBugler

Brent McBugler New Friend

Nov 27, 2013
    Virginia
    I am a little concerned about my tuning slide leaking water, this has been happening for a long time, does anyone know why this could be happening? I get water dripping out of the third slide too, and on the bottom of the tuning slide near the water key. The water is leaking out of the seam.

photo.jpg

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    You can either get a shop to expand the slide tubing--or you can just keep them lubed. That usually works too. I use Vaseline, but lanolin or one of the silicone based lubes might work best for this situation.

3. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    +1 for lanolin (for your tuning slide only) - the stuff is pretty stiff, and takes a bit of work to apply, though it's effective. I had a similar water leak on my tuning slide and I had a tech expand the tubing - that didn't work. However, the lanolin took care of it.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Thicker slide grease on the tuning slide, and then don't worry about it. There isn't going to be enough of an air leak there for it to matter. I've had that at different points in the past on a couple of different horns and it never made a difference (not one I noticed anyway) one way or another.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    grease your slides with Vaseline --- and don't worry, be happy and play ROFL ROFL ROFL or was that "play and be happy"? ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I have had the same problem a long time ago, and just greased the slide more often. I used to use Vaseline, but over the past couple of years have moved to Ultrapure slide grease. They make a thin and thick version, the thick version is great if the main tuning slide is starting to move when playing.

I also found the Vaseline would stick, if I did not use the horn regularly. Some of my horns get stored for months between plays, so they need to using something better than Vaseline. But in a pinch any petroleum Jelly will do the trick.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    then use TROMBOTINE --- ROFL ROFL ROFL ((just think of that, the guy on TM that helped me with doubling on the trombone and some of the issues with that --- and he doesn't even promote TROMBOTINE for slides on the trumpet)) ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Its fine, your slide begins to accumulate condensation from your warm breath and saliva so the second you pull it out, the beads begin to form on the slide. A thicker slide grease would help because the grease beads off any saliva that comes in contact with it so it will not stay on the slide.

- Dviglis

9. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Also, white gloves might help :lol:

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    KT,
    Funny thing is I just checked my slide grease that I use regularly in my gig bag, and found out that I am using Ivan's MAGIC slide grease. I have no idea how it got there, as I am sure it did not come with my horn Via Chenzo, as I only got the horn. It works great for all regular slides, and I need to look to replace it, but the transport cost is crazy, so I am sure I never bought it from Ivan.

Maybe some Jaeger MAGIC getting the MAGIC into my horn.... Maybe it came with the Taylor horn I recently got from Kujo but really a surprise - I am truly stumped to find it in my bag. I use the Ultrapure/Magic on my Trombone tuning slides as well.