Trumpet sound....twice removed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Jan 25, 2006.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I have been thinking about the whole idea of your own personal evolution in playing and similarities in sound and style within people's playing. Would it be possible to emulate someone you admire (Say, Jens) but since he is greatley influenced by say, Doc, that your playing is in some way evolved from Doc?

I know it's important to have your own sound but you can't help showing trace amounts of other people's playing and their influences, and their influences and......

Another example is Arturo and Dizzy. For someone to imitate Arturo, could it be possible to have also traces of Dizzy?

You thoughts?

Eric

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

I think that if you really want someones playing to show up in your own in a real way you would need to study with them one on one for a few years.

3. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    i'd have to agree with Jason here, the only way to be/act/sound like somebody you need to be with them for awhile. In order to sound like someone you need to study with them.

4. thefish1

thefish1 New Friend

Dec 3, 2005
    North Royalton, OH
    Hello mrfabulous963 I noticed that you have a Cavaliers Drum & Bugle Corps banner on your last post. Does this mean that you marched Drum Corps with the Cavaliers? I also marched Drum Corps. Maybe not with a top 12 Corps, but I had a lot of fun! I also instructed Drum Corps after I aged out. I am somewhat new to posting a response so please be kind. Please tell me how I can list the trumpet and mouthpiece that I play on my profile. (like what you have on your posting). Thank you in advance. As far as the statement-question that is posted, I have to agree with what everyone has posted. One needs to study and probably spend alot of time with that person to pick up their playing style and tendencies. Not to mention all of their phrasing. Everyone has a special way of interpreting music and that distinction is one of the things that separates everyone for each other. That simple thing is what separates one person from everyone else. Like Dizzy was different from Maynard and Chuck. Louis and Lee, Bill and Harry. They are all so different, yet still a little bit of Dizzy is in Chuck. As Chuck once told me that Dizzy is his musical and spiritual father. And Chuck told me that he was influenced alot by Dizzy's way of playing a horn.

thefish1

5. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
    I did not march, as i am only in high school. But I will try out as soon as I become eligible. As for the horn/Mouthpiece listing, click the Profile part at the top of the page, add what you want dispalyed in the signature box, it'll be added after every post you make. Any more qustions don't hesitate to ask. There is a lot of friendly people here!

Happy Posting!