Trumpet Sound?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by krossum, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ilikethetrumpet

ilikethetrumpet Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2006
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Now, the articulation was a bit muddy... I think you needed a little more definition. Try using more of the "tip," or perhaps use a sharper attack. Remember, a good solid attack sends the energy THROUGH the horn, not merely to it. While I understand using the glasses at the end, it just feels too careful. Just go for it, don't let the audience know that what you're doing i dangerous. And at the end, you would have gotten a much richer sound if you had intensified your energy a bit to get the metal vibrating a bit more. Use your entire body to play the trumpet, and try to eliminate all the arm tension--you were playing with way too much pressure.

Good thing it's not a concerto. All those conductors who, when they don't have anything else to say, ask the percussionists to use harder mallets would be at a loss here.

<cue groan emoticons>

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  2. BflatAnklan

BflatAnklan Pianissimo User

Jan 28, 2005
    Midwest area USA
    All kidding aside, where can I buy a copy of this new concerto? I'm looking for something to open my recital with.

:)

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Too late now but there needs to be a change in that piece. Those little sticks that are pulled out first should be replaced with 3 pound hammers. That is er......... was one of the worst sounding horns ever.

4. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich
    ROFL ROFL ROFL
    very good...

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Kelly,

There's a very evil part of me that wonders what would happen if you did that with a Monette Raja Samahdi... I think you might need Manny's gas powered device...:evil:

-Jimi

6. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    Y'know, the piece, and I mean all of it, sounded kinda like the vendor showroom at the NYBrass Conference.

7. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    Let me tell you all a little bit about the piece...

It was written for a dance company called '3 Dances'; so originally the composition was to end with the horn in three separate pieces. During the first performance of the composition, I was using an older horn from the 60’s; great sound, good valves, and excellent construction. So this older horn actually stayed together when cut apart and I was left with three distinct pieces of scrap metal. This performance on the current video was with a shiny new Chinese horn, purchased off of eBay for pennies. This horn had a decent sound, but the intonation was awful. Also, when I went at it – the horn basically exploded, it wouldn’t hold together enough to divide into the required three pieces, bummer.

I’m considering performing this on the ‘new music for trumpet’ recital at the ITG conference. What do you think?

Art rocks!
    -Kelly

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Go for it!

I look forward to seeing it performed LIVE!!

-cw-

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I think it would be great...just hold yourself together! :D I'd love to see/hear it.

10. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    That's the single most disturbing thing I've ever seen.

Might burn out the saw (or at least a few blades) if you did that on a Monette, I think...