Trumpet sounding more like an euphonium

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rogell, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Rogell

Rogell New Friend

Nov 9, 2015
    Hello, guys. I just got my trumpet in my birthday (11/9) and I'm still training embochure,
    but I notice it sounds like an euphonium, not as treble as it should be. Is it normal?

I'm using a 7C mouthpiece, still training notes, although lots of times my air pressure
    fails and some pistons need to be forced (maybe using oil could help??)

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Clarity would really help us diagnose you problem. You should be using oil on your valves. Every week or so, take the valves out, wipe them off, and put a new layer on. New horns have to have their valves "broken in". After a couple weeks with normal playing and oiling, they should work fine.

As for sounding like a euphonium, are you hitting pedal notes? These are notes that are below the trumpets range, and are hard to hit accurately. If you feel like you can slide all over with moving valves, you are hitting pedal notes. If you have a piano at your house, play the Bb below middle C. With no valves pushed down, try to hit that note. It should lock into place. If you are playing that note, you are in the right trumpet range.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Perhaps you might ask your teacher? Or get one, if you don't have one yet?

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Rogell, tell us about your background. Have you played any instrument before? Is trumpet something you are going into cold? How old are you, are you an adult player or a student just starting out in music? Have you taken any lessons or are you going it on your own? Its a hard road and results take time and practice. And YES you do need valve oil. This is your first post, so from me, WELCOME to Trumpet Master. We are here to help you and keep in mind that anything we tell you is highly subjective and differences in opinion are common. As far as your sound not being what you expected, well, to me it seems that you have a long way to go and your skills and tone will improve as you mature. Rest assured that NO ONE HERE is as good as they want to be and you fit right in with us. And don't get me started on that whole philosophy of trumpet playing thing. I'll be watching you and will have more advice when we get more to go on. Till then keep it fun so that you stay motivated to play. Look for others or a group to join that can give you structure and guidance to learning. Don't be afraid to make a mistake (my personal credo). Best wishes.

5. Rogell

Rogell New Friend

Nov 9, 2015
    Thanks for the coments, folks. Specially you, Larry.
    Well, I've been playing keyboard for more or less 2 years (still not as good as I wanted to be, tho).
    I'm 20 years old. I started composing one year ago and (really) writing piano lines since 6 months ago.
    Started the trumpet just last week. And no, I haven't got a professor.
    I hope I can learn some things here.

One more time, thanks for the welcoming :)

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Rogell!

It is normal for a beginner to get a dull sound. Keep practicing.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I like this. OP, have you tried this and can you answer?

8. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Hi there,

It is recommended you get a proper 1v1 teacher, we folks here can supply great advice but 1v1 teacher face to face learning would be ideal. ;D
    Euphonium heh...

9. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    edit

10. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    OK, no comment.