Trumpet sounds tinny after playing Flugelhorn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by [email protected], Jul 4, 2010.

1. eee511@mchsi.com

[email protected] New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    I'm a 72 year old who has played trumpet all his life. Purchased a used Yamaha Flugelhorn, which I really enjoy. My problem is when I put down the flugelhorn and pick up my trumpet, the sound is terrible! It takes several minutes for the sound to come back full and clear! It sounds real brassy/tinny and weak. Also, my range on the Flugelhorn is terrible. I have a hard time getting out of the staff, where my trumpet will still give me a high C.

How do professionals switch from one horn to the other and maintain a quality sound?

I play a Selmer Paris K-Modified Trumpet w/24" B. Rudy Muck 13C mouthpiece.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The approach to the sound on each instrument is different. You can't play a flugel like you play a trumpet and you can't play a trumpet like you play a flugel. Practice each as their own separate instrument and you will learn each's subtleties.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, I'm decidedly not a professional, but I regularly have to switch between Bb and Flugel during many of the regular church jobs I play. There have been several occasions where I've had to switch during the same song.

Try adding the flugel to your daily practice routine. I try to either start or finish my day with the flugel, but if I know I have a gig coming up where I have to play both I'll mix it into the middle of my routine.

As Brekelefuw said, a different approach is beneficial when playing the flugel vs Bb. Once your body is familiar with it, you'll have an easier time switching back and forth.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Try to get a flugelhorn mouthpiece with the same rim as your trumpet mouthpiece.

That will make the switch back and forth easier and the trumpet sound should stay where you want it.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Beauty comes from within. Trumpets and flugelhorns are inanamate objects out of brass.

I think it is just the expectations of your ear that gets "used" to one or the other. A well supported dound never sounds "tinny". Maybe a quick practice session check would be in order. Do you work on breathing EVERY day?

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I agree with with solar bell,get a flugel mouthpiece with the same size and shaped rim as your trumpet's mouthpiece. There are some mouthpiece companies that also make flugel mouthpieces in different cup depths,at the moment I can only remember two who do,Reeve's and Warburton,they are probably more.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Rowuk is probably right -- my other horn is a cornet and if I've played a long session on it going back to the trumpet sounds a bit wrong until I've played it with a bit more intent. My cornet mouthpiece is very deep compared to the trumpet one so that might also be playing a part.

8. eee511@mchsi.com

[email protected] New Friend

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks for your helpful replies. I did call Rudy Muck, and they told me that I could order a Rudy Muck 13C (like I use on my Trumpet), but be sure to specify that it's for a Yamaha Flugelhorn! They are different bores evidently.

To ROWUK: Practice breathing? Heck, at my age, I'm happy to just be breathing! Seriously, I know that I need to work on my filling the diaphram to improve my sound on both instruments. I love playing my horns, but I probably don't practice with breathing a focus as it should be.

Thanks

Ed

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Focus on filling your lungs. You diaphragm is just the elastic below them.