trumpet stand... the dark side?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JRgroove, Aug 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    This is being discussed as an aside in a different thread. I thought the topic deserved it's own thread.

I use a trumpet/cornet stand in my practice room. I usually play for about ten minutes at a time. Although, I might do this 3-5 times spread across the day. It's so easy to just pick up the horn and start playing.
    If I keep the horn in the case, I always zip I shut. My worst fear is that my wife or son will pickup the unzipped case and the horn will spill out. It's kind of a hassle to unzip the case to get the horn out a bunch of times throughout the day.

If I were playing out somewhere, I might be more inclined to use the case. However, I also play keyboard. Sometimes I might need to jump off the keys to play a part on the trumpet and then back to keys. A stand seems helpful here also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    I have a "trumpet table" where the horns stay out. Keeps them close at hand for easy practice and I'm like you, married I or someone else may pick up a shut-but-not-locked case because, as the saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind."

How is a stand "the dark side"?

3. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Yup, I do the same thing. One stand for home, one stand for gigs.

JRgroove - appears you are a mouthpiece collector.

Kevin

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I really only care to use my stand during long rests otherwise I hold it or lock it in the case. I don't put my cornets on them at all because I think it will warp the bell more

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I like having a stand in my practice room, although prior to me getting an additional stand, I always just used the open case, zippering it shut if I was going to leave it for any length of time.

6. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    What's with all the mouthpieces?

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Not exactly smellin' what you're cookin' here.

8. Chrisb

Chrisb Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm always afraid to use a stand - not because of potential damage from the stand, but from my little girl. She is almost 2 and just love to "play" my trumpet. She does get some notes out, but if I leave the room, the trumpet goes in the case.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I never leave a horn on a stand at home. In fact, I never use a stand at home. When I finish practicing, the horn goes back in the the case.

10. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I'm like that :stars: