Trumpet Stand!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lo, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Hi all!

I just got a trumpet stand for Christmas and was wondering about a few questions. (It is a Konig and Meyer 3 leg stand)

1. Does using the stand scratch or damage the bell in any way?

2. Should I use a stand in performance?

3. What stands do you guys use and when?

Thanks!

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi there

1. I've never had a stand damage a bell

2.I use a stand all the time for both trumpet and flugel

3.I use K&M 5 leg stands..difficult not to use them when you play in a section and change instruments.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Trevor

3. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    I use a K&M 5 leg stand..stick a yellow duster over it or any thin cloth...it will help to protect the inside of the bell.

4. Horn of Praise

Horn of Praise Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    United States
    Hamilton (model 500) three-leg stand. Chrome-plated and built like a tank. It looks like it could pass for "drum equipment". :)

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    my cat are able to knock over the horns on the k&m 3 leg stands but not the 5 leg stands...

get the 5 leg if you get the k&m

-marc

6. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Well I just got this new piece of equipment for Christmas so I do not think it would be too polite to return it or get another one since that is what I asked for. Is the 3 leg stand really that bad? Or is there some way I can modify it so it is more sturdier? Thanks for all your help!

7. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    unless you have a cat that slides across the floor and into your horns then I would not worry about it..

8. Welk

Welk New Friend

Jan 8, 2004
    Montréal, Canada
    I have a 3 leg K&M stand and I love it. I see no need of getting a 5 leg one!

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I have a K&M 3 leg stand too and although I've never had a problem with it, I prefer my "vintage" Hamilton trumpet stand that I got back in 1986 as a Sophomore in high school. The K&M is steady enough that it would have to take a pretty bump before your horn got knocked over.

For a short time I was using my K&M stand for my my trumpet and my Hamilton stand for my flugel, but I finally broke down and got a 5-leg K&M flugel stand and other than the fact that it sits so low and I have to bend over to pick up my horn, something that I don't have to do with the Hamilton (I'm lazy! :D) I really like it a lot.

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I've been using the K&M three-leg and five-leg stands for around 20-years. I had a three-leg fall over ONCE, damaging the 2d slide. Get a 5-leg.

Dave