Trumpet Stand!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lo, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Spawn

Spawn Pianissimo User

Dec 21, 2003
  2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I only use my stands at gigs, and I guess I could be accused of overkill!

Yes, I use Hamilton stands . . . big, heavy and ugly. However, only one of my three Hamiltons is a TRUMPET stand . . . the other two are Hamilton TROMBONE stands!

The trombone version has much longer legs and is bit taller too.

I use one trombone stand for my fluglehorn, with the trombone top shortened to fit the flugle properly.

The other trombone stand is for my short model cornet. I top it off with a Hamilton trumpet stand top.

Overkill? Nawwwww . . . those three horns sell for over $9,000 . . . and a solid stand is a "cheap" investment.

Tom

PS: I don't set my horns on stands at home. Sure, it looks cool . . . but accidents do happen. At home the horns stay cased, coming out only when I'm actually using them.

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I had a 3 leg K & M. We were playing outdoors "on grass" and on a windy day. I put my Bach on the stand while I tried to turn a page and get the "clothespins" reset when my big left foot bumped ever so lightly against the horn. It tipped over and the m/p knocked against the chair leg. A horn sure looks funny when it's in the case with the mouthpiece sticking out one end of the case! Fortunately the shop was able to remove the mouthpiece fairly easily.

I then bought a 5 leg for my flugel and was so impressed with the additional stability that I also got one for the trumpet. Personally I wouldn't go back to the three leg stand.

And I agree with Tom...the horn does NOT sit around the house on it's stand. I might put a small pillow on the desk and lay it on that if I get called away from practice for an hour or three, but never overnight. In the case is safest.

4. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I just purchased a trumpet stand from Pro-tec. It is the heaviest, and the most well built stand I have ever used. For more specific info check out the Protec wesite at www.ptcases.com :)

5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    I have a Hamilton stand (Model 500 or 550) I got back in the 80s that I still use. It's heavy, but does the job.

It has tipped (my own fault) and isn't the most stable stand out there. My horn hit a clarinet case in the row in front of me and the horn got several dents in the leadpipe, just short of the crook.

If I had to replace it, I'd probably go with a lower profile K&M, since I can then store it inside the horn.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Just a heads-up, you may want to check the dates on the threads you search.

This one has had no activity for 6 1/2 years.

7. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    get one of these Don't Scratch Your Brass! works for K&M and Hamilton. I also use the Hamilton stands for stage work...super heavy.

8. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I baught those for my stands, but they always get stuck in the horn!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have two of those three legged stands and use them both regularly for all horns except the Monette. Dave said don't use trumpet stands with his horns so I don't. It has something to do with the softer metal bells that he uses.

Never had a scratch, never got knocked over, never got stolen. I have one in red and one in black.