Trumpet stands...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 8, 2005.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    So I was sitting in rehearsal the other night, board to peices looking at my tpt on my tpt stand when it occured to me.

How many of you use a tpt stand? Kind of a funny question I know but do you honestly think that the stand may not be good for it? Could this eventually lead to a "drooping bell"? I don't know if you know what I mean, but when I say "drooping bell" sometimes (to me) it looks like some tpt's out there seen to have a warped bell that appears to droop downward. I was just wondering if a stand could add to this problem.

(Maybe I just need to keep myself busy during rehearsals) or get more sleep. :dontknow:

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I suppose if you had a very thin bell ....

Look at this trombone stand:

[​IMG]

Some said this stand would bend the slide. No, it will not. It seems that for brass to bend, especially if it is a bit thicker, it takes a "blow" and not just some moderate pressure.

Trombone are put on stands like trumpets, and they weight quite a bit more (especially bass trombones) and I have never seen one damaged unless rammed onto the stand.

Obviously, the thinner the bell, the less of a "blow" it would take. Monettes might be a good example. But by and far, I think most horns can sit on stands without a problem.

Jim

3. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    I use the K&M trumpet.

A couple of months ago I started playing a horn with a smaller bell area. Well, shortly afterwards I am playing on a gig and the band leader asks for a trumpet solo.

I bring my horn up to my chops and as I am ready to start the best solo I have ever played-----I realize the trumpet stand is still inside my bell?
    The guys in the section were looking at me like I was going to use the stand as some sort of mute!

I continue having this "sticking" situation. I even bought another stand. It only happens when I have played the horn for a while and I start getting the moisture around the bell.

This has never happened to me before. The trumpet is gold plated---maybe thats the problem?

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I use a stand, but not usually for a mute. There's too much resistance and the harmonics get all screwy. :-)

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I don't know if the gold plate makes a difference. But I like the new Pro Tec Stand

[​IMG]

It is a bit more stand, doesn't set the bell close to the floor, and would be difficult to use as a mute :-P

Jim

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Hi, I use the K&M 3 leg stand with the padding on top. It's a great stand - I feel much more comfortable using it than those with just plastic in contact with the bell, but the extra padding means it sticks to the bell of my Bach 37. I've got used to putting my foot on one of the legs as I take the trumpet off, and that does the trick. Was a little unsettling when it first happened though!

My main concern about stands is that they get knocked over. I've seen it happen, even with the more stable 5-leg K&M. I never leave my trumpet on my stand.

There was a thread about Monettes and stands - maybe in Manny's forum?

Cheers,

Jack.

7. John Miconi

John Miconi Pianissimo User

Dec 19, 2003
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I have the new 'Pro-Tec' stand, and I must say, IMHO it's probably the best that I have used. The stand is well built, and very strong. It kind of reminds me of a microphone stand. I am not sure, but I think they go for around $45.00.

8. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Regarding the "foot on the stand before picking up the horn" technique----
    Its a litlle unsettling when you realize your foot is actually on your bell,isn't it!

9. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Hey, that Pro Tec stand looks like it has just enough height to keep my soprano trombone slide from touching the ground. ;-)

Is it easy to knock over though? It looks like it's much taller than it is wide, and it only has three legs. Is it really bottom-heavy or something?

10. alanbach

alanbach Pianissimo User

Dec 10, 2003
    South Wales U.K.
    Stick a duster over the stand top...it will sort out any "sticking" :D