Trumpet stands...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Feb 8, 2005.

1. riffdawg2000

riffdawg2000 Pianissimo User

Jan 9, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have the same issue with my Bach C trumpet. What I do is sooo simple:

I use those little 'hair tie thingys' that girls use to do pony-tails (ones that DO NOT have any metal on them) to secure my 1st and 3rd slides when I am not using the horn. (helps prevent the slides from coming out in my case) ...

Anyhow ..

When I take the 'hair tie thingys' off the horn, I store them around the K&M stand! This also seems to prvent the horns from sticking to the stand.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have been actually selling quite a few of them. They are quite secure -- they weigh a bit more than the plastic "peg type" stand but they are quite stable. I'll bet it would work great with a sop trombone.

Jim

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I have several stands, but my favorite is an old Hamilton trombone stand. It is great on a gig at the end of the evening when I'm too lazy to bend over to pick my horn up off my trumpet stand! I was given an K&M Flugel stand this week. I love it as I find it to be very secure.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    By far my favorite stand over the years has to be an old Hamilton stand that was inherited from my sister in 1986. It's been on more gigs than I can count and it's still as good as it ever was. I used to have two of them (one of them was given to me by a friend and was missing the tripod knob, which in no way hinders the functionality of the stand) but at some point it disappeared along with a couple of mutes and who knows what else. I think that my wife threw them away one time on accident because she was cleaning out some stuff and probably tossed the whole box that they were in.

Anyway, I don't like the new Hamilton stands. I don't think that they are as durable as the older ones and they have completely eliminated the tripod locking knob, not to mention that the tripod area is smaller and they aren't quite as tall. I guess Hamilton was trying to cut costs or something.

5. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    I use a K&M five legger. I once had my three legger knocked over by an viola player. Darn viola players anyway! The five legger is quite nice. I have a raw brass bell, and I have never seen any damage or scratches.

I usually hold my horns during gigs, but if I am in rehearsal and I remember to put it out, I use it.

pT

6. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    I use the five legged one as well. (I also use the three legged one for another trumpet if I need it - only because I do not have two five legged stands) But for jazz stuff I tend to use the K&M (is that the taller one that looks like a mini tromboe stand?) if so, that's the one I use for Jazz band. (Easier to reach when standing)

I also us the flugel stand (only three legs but its sturdy enough).

Eric

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In all the time I have used that Hamilton stand, it has only been knocked over twice, but in both cases, it wouldn't have mattered what stand it had been on, it would have gone over.

The first time, I must have set it down on a mic cord because between sets, Safiro decided he was going to adjust some sound things on stage, yanked on the mic cord that the stand was sitting on, and over it went! Fortunately, there was no damage except for a teeny little dent in the second valve slide.

The second time, I was walking through a tight area prior to a gig, didn't realize how close I was, and knocked it over with my case. This time I was not so lucky and it froze the second valve. I barely had enough time to go home and get a different trumpet and I made it back to the gig about 3 minutes before downbeat.

I'll use that Hamilton stand until it falls apart or I lose it.

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Speaking of stands, does anyone have a GREAT piccolo trumpet stand?

9. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
  10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    That's the one I use also (clarinet stand isn'y it) The music shop where I do my shopping looked at me funny when I bought that and a clarinet gig bag (the kind you put the hard case) at a clearence sale ($15 total). The case is great for holding ALL my mutes, oil etc...

The stand isn't the most sturdy thing but it's the closest I can find.

Eric