Trumpet Stands

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NOwens, Nov 15, 2008.

1. NOwens

NOwens New Friend

Nov 13, 2008
    Valley Village, CA
    I was wondering what anyone thinks the best trumpet stand is.I use the kind that screws out like a spider and is basically on the floor. But I am looking at a new hercules one that seems a bit more "bell friendly. Any comments?

2. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    The Hercules are real nice - but not as convenient as the spider types.... I'd leave the hercules @ home in the practice room, and take the spider stands to gigs. Unless I had a gig where I'm switching horns a lot (quintet) then I would leave the Herc @home. They're both great - never had a problem with either.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Like everything else, there is no BEST anything. The active player needs various stands, a light one for travel, a sturdy heavier one for home and concerts. Maybe some need one that fits in a trumpet backpack or case to keep from dragging a lot of stuff extra.

Only you can figure out what your needs are. Write them down, then picking something to fit those needs is pretty easy!

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I've used a Hamilton floor stand for over 40 years and found them to be stable and not too hard on the bell and easy to hit when you are changing horns. I have been looking for a bell type for some time, but haven't found a price to my likeing yet.

5. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
  6. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I have a K+M quad stand that I've been using for about 8 years, and I love it. You can put 1-4 pegs on it, and change pegs depending on which horns you are using. On jazz gigs I usually have a trumet and flugel, and have used it for picc, C and Eb for orchestra and quintet gigs. I've even used it with one peg when I've forgotten my 5 leg - very veristile! Mine has plastic pegs - one of my bands bought the wooden version. I prefer the plastic - pegs can store in the bells, and the wooden pegs tend to beat up the bells too much.

7. soundgrazer

soundgrazer Pianissimo User

Oct 6, 2008
    Montreal
    I have had this Hamilton stand since 1884 and it is the most sturdy stand I have ever seen. It folds and slides in like a heavy duty camera tripod and I think it is the best if they still sell it. It takes a beating and does not tip even with a heavy weight Bach. Sturdy is much more important than portable to protect your most valuable investment. Consider this; microphone wires WILL get snagged on your stand and if you are using one of those cute light stands your horn is going for a long expensive ride.

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Wow! That's a testament to Hamilton's build quality, and your longevity :-P

9. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    i've been using the "not so portable" hercules for about a year now. it's definitely a quality built stand and is extremely sturdy, but it's a bit cumbersome when you want to take it places. i almost bought the in bell portable hercules today, but held off... it was either a new mouthpiece today or a new stand. mouthpiece won.

10. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Before the in the bell stands I used the Hamilton stands which I still have from 1975. I carried one each for trumpet, flugel and valvebone and they were heavy. I now use the K & M stands since 1985 (same ones) and love the inthe bell storage. never had a problem.