Trumpet Stiff Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Xelex, Nov 19, 2008.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good advice from Bob. I'm glad your director cut you some slack.

The general rule is to rest and then slowly get back into your routine. But there's no hard-and-fast formula. It wouldn't be wrong to rest both Saturday and Sunday, if you need it.

If you feel good on Sunday, maybe do some easy practicing.

However, if you still feel stiff on Sunday, then maybe take a couple minutes to play an easy warm-up around G to C on the staff. Then put the trumpet away. Maybe repeat the short warm-up towards the end of the day.

Then see how things feel on Monday.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    yep you over did it and now your lips are stiff and bruised. this is like any stiff or bruised muscle. the difference is, when your legs are stiff and sore you can still walk. when this happens to your lips it really affects your playing. you can not play until the soreness goes away or to work out the stiffness try playing from low C chromaticly down to F# slurred slowly, softly over and over for 5 minutes. then put the horn down and rest for 5 minutes. Repeat untill the stiffnes loosens up. If the lips are bruised it will hurt to play. In this case DON"T PLAY until it doesn't hurt to play. If they are stiff it won't hurt. the lips just will not want to vibrate. very low, easy, soft and slow playing for 5minutes at a time with lots of rest will help work the stiffness out. been there, done that. next time you over do it and we all do take some advil and you won't be a ssore and stiff the next day. Let us know how it goes. By the way if you don't take care of it now it could become worse and you could do permanent damage.

3. Xelex

Xelex New Friend

Nov 19, 2008
    Alrighty, will do, sounds like the key remedy is TIME...
    Oh how hard it is to spend it NOT practicing when you want to get better so bad....
    Welp, looks like I have to wait it out, then.
    I'll definitely do the C to low F# for five minutes though, the key is to do it long soft and slow though, correct?

4. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    What mouth piece are you useing??? Have you consistently gone with a larger mouth piece year after year? I ask because a lot of trumpet player's use too small of a mouth piece so they can hit high inthe register and they never move on up. In the long run their muscles suffer and it show's when you try to move on to the next level.

Heck it took me a few weeks to find a mouth piece that worked for my son as a brand new trumpet player. IT was not easy because he does not have the vocab to speak intelligently on this issue at the age of 10 and being new to brass instruments! I have already mapped out the next three mouth pieces he will be useing. Obviously I am waiting until summer to make the change but you see my point. Really by High School you should be able to play everything from a 7C to a 1C with 5C,3C and 1 1/2 C being regular friends that get used often and the occassional Schilke 14A4a used when needed. Right now Kelly mouth pieces is haveing a sale on a nasty Yellow called Mellow Yellow. They will sell you any three of their mouth pieces in that color for $33 which is $11 each. So if you do not have a 3C5C and 1 1/2 C you might give them a call and place an order.

You would not believe how many H.S. trumpet player's are still playing their 7C that came with their trumpet. That is old school thinking today you want to keep moveing up and building the chop's for full brilliant sound you can always slap a small screamer on the trumpet when you need it.

I have even contacted pickettbrass to see if they can modify some standard mouth pieces for us. My son is useing my Reynolds 7A and it has a very flat rim design. I would like to have them copy that rim design over to some bach's and yamaha mouth pieces. It is darn hard to find flat rimmed mouth pieces almost all of them copy Bach which is at best semi-flat but that is not how I would describe them.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  5. Xelex

Xelex New Friend

Nov 19, 2008
    I started out on an 11B4 (Yamaha) and then went to a 5B in 7th or 8th grade... By the time I hit high school I've been playing a 3C. I have a Schilke 14A4A, but I never use it. I want to have a stronger embouchure before I do get used to it, so I use my 3C even in jazz band. I originally hurt myself on the 3C.

My lips are feeling better today, the sting is virtually gone, and I did a few long tones like Bob said, seems to be working out quite well =) I still feel a little heavy on my upper lip, but it's less noticeable.

6. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm glad you're feeling better. Don't be tempted to push things today.

Mike

7. Xelex

Xelex New Friend

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks =)
    Took your advice and I stopped after a few low notes, I got that little tingly feeling, the kind that feels good, though.
    Hopefully tomorrow will bring about a fresh start. :play:

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    tingly is good. take your time or you could have a relapse. remember your lips are flesh and blood and as hard as this may be for a young student to realize, we are not immortal. I know I used to think so at your age.l

9. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I wanted to add that you would not believe how much residual tension hold all over their body. I was doing some relaxation exercise's a few months back and you would not believe how much stress in the form of tension I was holding in my scalp,forhead,eye's, mouth and throat. We always talk about building up our muscles but we seldom talk about learning to relax them. The muscles in your face are like any other muscles and learning to relax them when not useing them would probably go a long way in reduceing your sorness and increase your endurance.

10. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I know this might sound stupid but do you take good care of your lips? You know use chapstic regularly and with SPF when outside inthe summer etc????? You can massage your facial muscles just do not do it around a bunch of guy's do it at home. I liked to take a steaming hot towel and put it on my face and around my lips after a hard day. It really helps. Granted I am 35 so I notice aches and pains more but it does help.