Trumpet stuttering!?!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Nov 12, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Hey Manny, I could really use your advice. Here's what's happened:

About three months ago I noticed that my "initial attacks" weren't very clean. So, I decided to add an excercise to my regular practice session.

I decided to practice attacking a note, taking the horn off my chops, putting it back on and attacking a note again. I would continue doing this for a good three minutes or so.

I immediately noticed that my attacks were getting cleaner (that's a good thing, right?)

One day, I just happened to notice that I was pausing for just a second between taking a breath and attacking the note. The more I paid attention to that the longer the pause got.

Finally, I'm at the point where sometimes I just can't start the note, or when I do I get a stuttering type of attack. It reminds me of when I used to stutter as a child (that feeling that you just can't get it out.)

I should say that this is only happening while I'm practicing (no problems performing...yet.) But, I'm still concerned. What's going on?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Joe Lewis

2. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    BTW, although I'm really looking forward to see what Manny has to say, anyone's opinion is certainly welcome here.

3. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    I had this problem for years. I don't anymore. A few years ago a had to start the concert season of one of the orchestras I play in with Rienzi. It went fine and I "owned" that my stuttering problem had passed.

Everyday (and I mean everyday) I start my practice with Shuebruk Graded Lip Trainer Grade 2, #1. I've been doing this for years. When I started to study seriously, about 15 years ago, I decided that everyday I would start my practice with the weakest parts of my playing. I had awful first attacks. I was studying with Ray Mase ( I still do) and he suggested Shuebruk.

I do this with a metronome. I set it at any tempo that feels uncomfortable. Timing of the inhalation is very important. Shuebruk shows 3 beats between notes. I add more rests so each note becomes a "first note". The note must always be timed to the inhalation. I sometimes change dynamics of the notes. It's very important to listen to the quality of each note. Every note has to be beautiful. Shuebruk goes from A above the staff to low C. I go to high E (3 ledger lines) to low F with my 3rd valve slide out. What never changes is the concept of timing. I realized over time that my difficulty with first notes had to do with my insecurity about them. To me this was the most difficult part of trumpet playing. It's become one of my strengths.

Everyone knows that sometimes we get conductors who don't give us a proper upbeat. I practice this so much that I feel the upbeat is inside of me.

I hope this helps you.

Larry Malin

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Thanks, Larry, for the trip back to Sam Krauss' basement. That is exactly what his attack studies are about.
    Check out his exercises at Alex's site.
    http://www.petrouska.com/
    Wilmer

5. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you for thinking of my site Wilmer and posting the information. I was going to recommend that very thing. :-) If anything can fix this problem it is those Krauss exercises.

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Before I address your situation let me also chime in about Alex's site:

It is fabulous!

My favorite part of the sit is the Concentration exercise section. I think everyone should start the day with these sets. You can alter them to suit your whims and imagination. Brava Alex, for a wonderful resource. You've got my endorsement, for sure.

Somewhere around here is a thread I got involved in that addressed your problem, Joe. The essence of my approach is that the end of my breath is the start of the note. When I play there is, ideally, no space whatsoever between the last drop of breath you take and the beginning of the note you're going to play.

You have completely gone to the polar opposite of that approach,so, you'll have to begin the process back to ground zero, I'm afraid. Are there successful players that pause between breath and note? Yes. Is it necessary in order to be successful? No, it's just a habit just as what I do is a habit I've trained myself to do. My playing has improved because of the habit not in spite of it.

While you're at the computer just practice doing that: breathe in a full "trumpet" breath and, at the end, release it immediately withut pause. Then do that and "wind-tongue" a passage using a nice low vowel like "too" or "toe", so we don't hear a hissing approach.

Then transfer that gradually to the horn.

ML

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Alexuss' website

I am certain that her website is superlative. The problem is that I cannot access it. I get a nonexistant message when clicking on the link to her site. Perhaps one of you can help me with this.

Thanks.

OLDLOU>>

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Go to Alex's profile and see if it works from there.

ML

9. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Alexuss' website

Going from her profile is what got me shut out.

OLDLOU>>

10. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Well, I just clicked the link Wilmer provided and it worked fine. Dunno what to tell ya...

ML