Trumpet swan dive

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gglassmeyer, May 20, 2008.

1. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    last night at my daughter's elementary school concert, I had to watch helplessly as a trumpet took a swan dive.

The beginning band played first, followed by the advanced band. I saw across the room that one of the beginners had his trumpet resting only on it's bell at the edge of a table. I told my wife it was making me nervous, but I was seated in the front row and it would have been a disruption for me to go and move the trumpet.
    Just after the next tune started I saw a kid bump the table and the horn did a 180 degree turn and hit flat on its mouthpiece. That's one horn that didn't go home in a case.

2. Brad

Brad New Friend

Nov 23, 2004
    Minnesota
    The worst I saw was during a high school Jazz band concert one of the trumpet players stepped on her own flip flop and proceeded to flip flop backwards while launching her bach strad backwards over her head.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Flip-flops should come with a warning label. Once mine rolled under in front and my big toe followed losing its first eighth inch grinding against the pavement.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That sent a shiver up my spine when I read it! I once saw a guy drop his trumpet (in a lightly-padded gig bag) down a flight of stairs. He opened the bag and it wasn't pretty - two of the valves wouldn't even move. Nothing money couldn't fix, though....:D

5. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    We had our first Euphonium take a swan dive off the stage during a solo(blacked out)....
    Lucky his 6 month old Besson took most of the impact from the three foot drop.

6. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Being a middle school band director, grades 5-7, I've seen my share of bonehead moves before I had a chance to correct them. Trumpet players who hold their trumpets by the mouthpiece only, baritone players carrying their instruments by the tuning slide, flute and clarinet players leaving their instruments on music stands............Just when you think that you've seen it all.....Suprise!

7. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    My fav is the clarinet player who ran over her pro. model Clarinet. She sat it down on the ground while loading her car and forgot about it.

TD

8. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Here's a slight "twist" - in marching band - trumpet section is wheeling back into line as drum section marches by - and trumpet part ends - and with that military snap down of the trumpet - player at the end of the section gives it his all - right on top of the head of the passing drummer - a beautiful Olds Recording model - the bell just corkscrewed up - but the drummer survived and kept on marching as the bell hit his head like a hat. Said it didn't even hurt him....couldn't say as much for the Olds....

BG

9. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    When I was in the Army Band in NY, we were doing a parade in Staten Island, and one of the trombone players (the bones were in front) launched his slide in a nice arc about 20 feet. Luckily for him, it landed in a bush and wasn't too damaged. Took him quite a while to live it down, though. :^)

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  10. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    My friend in High School had his trumpet get run over by a port-o-let emptying truck while we did a marching drill without horns. He had set it partially on the driveway and suffered from some bad timing. Ran over just the end of the bell and didn't harm anything from the tuning slide back. The bell was totally flat with a sort of clamshell look to it. He had to play it the remainder of band camp that way.