Trumpet swan dive

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gglassmeyer, May 20, 2008.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Wow - that would be as good as watching Mythbusters blow one up! Well, better, because then you get to tease him about it!ROFL

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    All right, guess I've gotta add mine..... to preface these, I fall down a lot - enough that people get pretty used to it. I haven't done a lot of damage to horns this way - just a few dings, but I always end up with a few dings, too :-)
    One of my favorite falls happened when I was stationed at Navy Band New Orleans - we were in summer whites, and since the gig was across the street, we were walking over with horns, no cases. I tripped over absolutely nothing, fell on my horn and my knee, creased my bell, and ripped a hole in my knee, but not my pants. I then proceeded to bleed all over my white pants from the hole in my knee! My friends picked me up and cleaned up my knee, laughing the whole time. Thankfully, my Navy horn was built like a tank, so it sustained very little damage. I changed my pants and played the gig.
    This one's the best, though - I fell off a stage during a curtain call! The stage floor and stairwell were both black, and I fell in the stairwell trying to step around a very large Christmas tree. The worst part was that my dress shoes fell off in the stairwell, and the vocalist behind me picked them up, running offstage behind me waving them in the air, yelling "Amanda, your shoes!" at the top of her voice for the whole audience to see! After that fall, my horn needed a new dent removed, and my calf still has a dent in it!
    Sorry for the long post - hope the stories are worth it!

3. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    Wow, I'm sure glad I never had any falls. Great stories though and hope they never happen to u all again.

4. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Amanda,
    The guy who accidentally used his slide for a javelin happened to be one of the lesser-loved NCOs in the band, so it was pretty sweet to see him do it!

Sounds as if you beat up on yourself more than your axes...slow down, girl! I never had the thrill of falling off a stage, but I was gigging with a funk band years back, and the guitar player was pretty wasted and fell backwards right off the back of the raised stage. He came up laughing, not a scratch on his guitar of his body...guess there are advantages to alcohol sometimes. :^)>

Best,

Chas
    Editions Bim and The Brass Press, International Music Publishing

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    When I was in High School, our music teacher asked me to order a trumpet for a poor unfortunate social misfit (they played piano). I was in Year 12 and he was in 7. When it arrived I took him into a carpeted room and sat on the floor and explained how it worked/ maintainance etc. The bell went so he didn't get to play it. I told him not to open the case till he got home. He didn't.
    That afternoon, he put the case in his bus line and a double decker bus ran over the curb and went straight over the middle of the case. The only thing that exceeded the look of despair on his face was looking at the horn. Sounds made up but I swear it is true. We did get another one for him.
    He went on to be a successful school musical writer. Haven't heard about him for more than a decade. Just through interest, I'll google his name after I get off this site.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    It's just me.....but I would have saved the trumpet before the accident happened.

-cw-

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    a friend of mine bought his son a new strad and instructed him NOT to take it out on the football field for marching - first day at school out to practice marching and as he was heading out the door someone came in a split second earlier. He needed a new bell after that.

8. doc18

doc18 New Friend

Jun 13, 2008
    Brazil
    Hi, Fellows
    Last Night I´ve Downloaded and heard Amanda Pepping´s album from e-music.
    Sweet and fantastic! The cristal clear and smooth hi pitch made me wonder, when will I hear something like that again!
    Anyone knows her whereabouts?
    :play::thumbsup:

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    She is in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
    Her plan is to work on a Phd at one of the Oklahoma Universities this Fall.

10. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Did you get a purple heart for this?

I was playing in a church orchestra. The other trumpet player had a brand new horn.
    I placed my horn on my Manhassette trumpet stand. At the confession of faith we stood up. He stood up and placed is horn on his chair. After the confession I sat down. So did he. He showed me his horn so I held out my hand, took his horn and bent the bell back to the approximate shape.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008