Trumpet Teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by R.T. Swing, May 21, 2010.

1. R.T. Swing

R.T. Swing Pianissimo User

Feb 6, 2007
    UK
    This may be a long shot but here goes. I'm generally happy with my playing but am looking for a good experienced teacher in the London area in the UK. I am working through a few blocks in my playing and need someone who knows what they talking about when teaching, not just playing. If Rowuk was in the UK I'd be at his 'door' cash in hand like a shot.

RT

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    how about web cam lessons? I have a student in Australia.

3. samej

samej New Friend

Apr 22, 2010
    Bristol, Uk
    Have you looked at anyone who teaches at Guildhall or the Royal Academy of Music for example? Go to the teaching staff pages on their websites and see who's there. You may have to search for their personal websites, or get in touch with the schools for contact details. That's probably the best place to start.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Call Noel at Eclipse, Robert Smith or Derek Watkins at Smith/Watkins or Andy at Taylor trumpets. They are plugged into the London scene for sure and can get you far better help than I could ever be. Taking lessons with the locals gives you at least a little chance of getting connected to the pro world. That provides invaluable experience!

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    As usual, Robin has the right idea!

Are you a symphony player? Take lessons from the local symphony players! If you're good enough, they will ask you to sub in the symphony when the need extras and substitute players. This is a really good way to break in!

This, unfortunately, is the one piece of advice that I've given recently that I haven't really followed myself. I haven't availed myself of the local major symphony players (Symphony Silicon Valley, San Francisco Symphony, etc.) for lessons, fearing that I would be too "transparent" ie. "You only want to "take lessons" from me so that I put you on my sub list". Thus, I've slowed down my entrance into the S.F. Bay Area music scene, of which I've been part now for four years.

I have impressed enough of the contractors and one significant personnel manager to get a slowly increasing number of "pro" gigs, including a couple of sets with the Santa Cruz Symphony Orchestra as principal trumpet. I blame it on my engineering career, but I know some of it's psyching myself out of taking lessons with people who could help me. Don't fall into MY trap!!

Guy

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I second Noel Langely at Eclipse.

A VERY good player with a wealth of knowelge.