Trumpet Teachers To Study With.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dbacon, Dec 21, 2003.

1. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    Heres one from the UK Jack
    Nigel Boddice

Alan

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Another from the UK would be Noel Langley (LonelyAngel).

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Doug Cooper- I have no idea where my old teacher has gone, but if you get a chance to work with him, you'll see why I like him and why he made me so much better.

Paul Compton- Last I heard, Paul was directing a jazz band at Oklahoma State University at Stillwater, OK. He used to be the lead trombone for the One O'Clock lab band, and despite being a trombonist, he still has massive knowledge on the jazz style and on brass techniques.

4. trumpetwise

trumpetwise New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    It is helpful if a great teacher has the mental aspect truly down.

Herseth, Scarlett, the late Arnold Jacobs, are some examples.

See: www.trumpetworkspress.com

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Not to bring up an old worn out topic, but I remembered a guy I played with who was from UNT, and had even been on 20/20 on something about how the ear listens to music (or something like that). Anyway, his name was Chris Chevsky (I think that's how you spell it). That guy not only could play the trumpet with amazing ability, but he just understood the mechanics of music. Talking with him for 5 minutes and I knew about 10 things that I hadn't before. If you get the chance just to talk with him, you will know what I mean.

6. Hornie

Hornie New Friend

Mar 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
  7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You forgot about:

John Blount
    Bob Birch
    Scott Holbert (Reinhardt teacher)
    Doug Eliot (trombone player, but I hear he's great with trumpet players for chops stuff)
    Jack Wengrosky
    Tom Williams
    Liesl Whitaker
    Many, MANY others too, thanks to the 5 premier military bands, plus the National and Baltimore symphonies.

8. Schilke player

Schilke player New Friend

Mar 26, 2008
    Brentwood, TN
    :-o
    So how do you know Les Stallings?
    He doesnt live very far from me. I didnt know he gave lessons.

9. MrA2You

MrA2You Pianissimo User

May 26, 2008
    Manchester UK
    I'm in the uk..... manchester way to be almost precise. I play at a reasonable level (more out of my bands desperation rather than my overall ability) but have some nasty habits (anybody else have the "bullshit fingering syndrome"). The last lesson I had was in 1978 and I have stumbled along ever since. I know my limitations, I aint the best (although I have been commended on my tone and range), I have a tendency to rush and my self confidence is easily undermined. I have recently contemplated having lessons in a bid to overcome some of the afforementiond habits. Could lessons help (d'ya think) or is it a case of old dogs new tricks? Whos Manchester way that could be recommended?

10. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    You can not go wrong studying with the Wise one. Still trying to do the things he taught ne