Trumpet Teachers To Study With.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dbacon, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    You could run the London marathon win a pair of fisherman's waders; but why make thing difficult for yourself?

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Indeed - I always wonder why someone feels compelled to toss out that old "it's the player, not the gear" crud in almost every thread that discusses gear. It's right up there with the "most of the guys I know who play high learnt to do so at the expense of their musicality" hogwash.

Every pro I have known without exception is particular about their gear. Every one. Furthermore, as a student of the trumpet, I want to learn everything I can about as much as I can about this mess of tubing I play. Thus, it is perfectly natural to want to know what another player is playing and why.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    George Bundy was just a marketer who sold Selmer instruments branded for him, and tweaked they aren't really from the bottom of the barrel and a whole lot better than many others on the market today.

4. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    I agree. I didn't say they were bottom of the barrel. I meant to indicate a typical student level horn as an example of basic equipment.

I believe you missed the point.

5. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    I think you're all missing my point...
    The equipment doesn't make the player.

Brag and boast as much as you want about your cool horns, custom mouthpieces, brushed finishes, and cryogenic treatments.

But when it comes down to brass tacks, no amount or number of designer instruments will make you a better player.

6. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Dan Miller, Fort Myers, Fl

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Denver Colorado: Rick Jordan
    Dayton Ohio: Brian West

8. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Thomas Gansch, Vienna, Austria
    Frank Uttenreuther, Munich, Germany

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    I think you have missed the point a little here. we all know that if you are a talentless player a $9000 horn wont make you something your not, but if you are good or better, it will help make it a little easier. like running a marathon in a army boots, or in a good quality pair or light weight, distant running shoes, I know which I would rather have on my feet at the start line.