Trumpet Technicians in America

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetlore, Dec 4, 2008.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I don't know the other guys mentioned, or their work, so don't take this as a criticism of them, but I can definitely recommend Jim Becker. He's my go to guy for all things trumpet related.

bigtiny

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is going to be pretty tough to make a Schilke better. I know that Osmun does picc leadpipes and has quite a bit of experience there. I can't think of anything that would be worth the effort on a Schilke. I asked them at a music fair if they would consider doing a picc with a gold brass bell. The only thing that I don't like about the P5 and P7 is the laser sound compared to the rotary piccs that I am used to.

3. TrumpEd

TrumpEd Pianissimo User

Oct 9, 2008
    Texas
    This maybe just for bagmangood or TrentAustin, but is there anyone or anything left of Tottle's? (Under the union bldg. in Boston)

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think Tottle sold to D'orio - a couple of friends of mine play on those. They're from somewhere in the RI area, I believe......

5. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Trumpetlore,
    I play/study in Rochester, and live in Buffalo. There are a number of great techs in NY and the East Coast, but everyone here has reccomended a lot of great people. I know that Joe Pera in Webster does good work, and carries a multitude of horns. I know that my teacher gets his work done in Rochester as well, but I don't know who that is.

Good Luck, and do you play professionaly with anyone in Rochester?

6. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    tottle is a tragic story. The younger brother Nick, used to be my roomate. The father died, the older brother (who think is now dead) hated the business and had a serious heroin problem. Nick tried to run and expand the business for a while, but eventually they sold everything...I'm not sure who they sold it to.

bigtiny

7. trumpetlore

trumpetlore Pianissimo User

Apr 14, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    BC,
    I'm doing my Masters at Eastman, so I don't have a lot of pro gigs. The market in Rochester for trumpet players is already overloaded.

Pera is a wonderful guy, I went to his place a couple weeks back and got a mouthpiece, and a couple mutes. I didn't try to work with him on some of the real subtleties of the instrument though. I'm sure he's a great repair man, and great with certain areas of rebuilding, but I haven't experienced his work enough to know if he the shaman touch on a trumpet the way Malone has...

Brass crusader likes this.
  8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    Steve (Dr Valve) Winans in Chicago area and Ken Larsen in Michigan.

9. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Yes, Joe is a great guy, even though he can convince us to buy just about anything.
    I study with Herb Smith at Eastman. Do you know Matt Osika? He was my very first teacher, and a current grad student at Eastman.