Trumpet theory inquery...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by urban1ninja, Feb 23, 2009.

1. urban1ninja

urban1ninja New Friend

Jan 22, 2009
    Maryland
    Trumpet music is written in C.
    But The trumpet makes a Bb in the open position.
    so when im playing with a band and their playing a C chord, do i play the trumpet in open position? because then i would be a whole step flatter than the rest of the band...

2. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Most trumpet music is written in Bb. If you're playing something written in C on a Bb horn then you need to transpose up a whole step to play what is on the page. If you see a C play a D, if you see a F play a G etc etc.

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    What sort of band are you playing in?

Regards,

Trevor

4. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    If you're playing on a Bb trumpet, and the band plays a concert C chord, you would need to play either a D, F# or A if you wanted to play a chord tone. You're a tone below concert pitch, so need to play a tone higher to be in tune.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    When you are playing with a piano, bass, guitar synth, (treble clef instruments), you have to go UP 2 half steps.
    If the piano is playing in C you play in D

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    What has been missed here is the change in key signature that must accompany the transposition to C, or 'concert pitch' when playing a Bb instrument in the treble clef to be in tune with a piano or other C instrument. In addition to playing up a full step, the key signature must be changed, dropping two flats or adding two sharps from the written score.

OLDLOU>>

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    good catch Lou....

8. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Yes, well caught. When I said about playing a tone higher, I assumed everyone would realise a tone above E, for example, is F# not F, but it doesn't hurt to say it explicitly.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009