Trumpet Theory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by garyb, Dec 2, 2010.

1. garyb

garyb New Friend

Nov 16, 2010
    It makes interesting reading to encounter the latest trumpet playing theory. The immediate negative? It is not proven. Then again, how can it be proven and remain theory since theory is nothing more than unproven assumption. Conjecture, if you will. Conversely, not all theory produces sound results. Proof? The percentage of successful trumpet players is no greater today than it was during the reign of Harry James. Possibly the answer lies in syllogism: major premise, minor premise and logical conclusion. If so, then theory and trumpet playing share a common element: not all are created equal.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I prefer to think of trumpet playing as having the same basic requirements of making music on any instrument. I like the concept of pitch+rhythm+style=music. Pitch containing not only intonation but timbre as well, rhythm contains playing at the right time and note length, style then includes things like dynamics, attack and release.

If we transport the elements of pitch, rhythm and style to a Venn diagram, these elements will not overlap with an non-musical player; with the ultimate trumpet player the sets would form a union.

I like the comment of Boethius that music is mathematics combined with morality. Pitch and rhythm are mathematical, and style adds the moral element.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Phfeuw - that's a bit deep :shock:.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Say What??:huh::?::think:

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The percentage of successful trumpet players today is the same because of a fairly static level of opportunity for trumpet players, although to that I would question where you get your information - in the days of Harry James where Big Band was the popular music of the day, I would propose that there was more opportunity for trumpet players due to the fact that there were a lot more working big bands.

Something else to consider is the ability level of the average working player. I think you'd find that the number of truly remarkable players is increasing due to the fact that the level of instruction across the board has been raised.

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    I think Trick is onto something with opportunity. It is always amazing when I tell people I majored in trumpet that they(meaning to sound nice) almost always say,' Uh, wow, that is cool, really?' But what they are implying is something like, 'I didn't even know people play that instrument any more.' It's like I play pan flute or something.

I recently bought a mouthpiece from a wholesaler on ebay for an amazing price(no telling how he got them) and he actually emailed me and asked what are the applications for trumpet these days. He said he thought he was taking a gamble buying a lot of trumpet mouthpieces because maybe the only people needing them were,' jr high marching band kids or some guy that plays for the circus.'

Go back to Harry's day and any nightclub worth their salt would have a gigging big band not to mention the touring bands actually playing shows as prevalently as rock shows in our day.

7. NanoBear

NanoBear New Friend

Apr 15, 2009
    Perth, Western Australia
    wow, I was expecting a discussion on harmonics and open end correction calculations or maybe something about how lips don't actually touch when buzzing. A little different.

I very much like Vulgano's venn diagram analysis. Best description of musical 'talent' I've heard in a very long time.

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    garyb sez:
    It makes interesting reading to encounter the latest trumpet playing theory.
    -----
    I say:
    This is true
    -----
    garyb sez:
    The immediate negative? It is not proven.
    ----
    I say:
    Proven is not a good term for this. The theory has significance or support at a given statisical level or not (.05 Level of significance is often used in social science).
    ---
    garyb sez:
    Then again, how can it be proven and remain theory since theory is nothing more than unproven assumption.
    ----
    I say:
    Therories are supported, not proven.
    ----
    garyb sez:
    Conversely, not all theory produces sound results.
    ----
    I say:
    When testing a hypothesis statement, finding nothing is just as important as finding something.
    ----
    garyb sez:
    The percentage of successful trumpet players is no greater today than it was during the reign of Harry James.
    ----
    I say:
    a)Can you support this claim?
    >Here's what I would suggest. We graduate thousands of trumpet players from our universities every year and there are only 5 gigs out there.
    b)Who says Harry James reigned anything other than the spot he stood in?
    ----
    garyb sez:
    Possibly the answer lies in syllogism: major premise, minor premise and logical conclusion. If so, then theory and trumpet playing share a common element: not all are created equal.[/quote]
    ----
    I ask:
    Isn't a syllogism a "logical scheme" of a formal argument consisting of two premises major and minor and a conclusion which must true if the premises are true?
    ----
    Now here's a recent theory with data included:
    If a chicken and a half layed an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many lumberjacks will it take to satisfy Bea Arthur?
    ---
    Last time I checked, it takes 30 lumberjacks for such a job, pending they eat the eggs from the chickens for the energy they'll desparately need.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    VB sez:
    I prefer to think of trumpet playing as having the same basic requirements of making music on any instrument.
    --
    Darned, this ought to be woven into a sampler.
    Good words VB

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    A list of colors.

Oops, I mean a list of notations that entails the sounds that can be produced by a trumpet.