Trumpet Tipped Over...middle Valve Now Sticky...advice Please.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by terrystrand, Dec 9, 2007.

1. terrystrand

terrystrand New Friend

Dec 9, 2007
    My Olds Ambassador just fell over off its horn stand onto the wood floor. The middle valve is now very sticky despite oiling. Don't see any obvious damage, though I think it dinged the middle valve slide a bit.

Anybody else ever have a idea what I might do...besides taking it in for a repair? And how do they fix it in a repair shop?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    What has happened is the impact on your second valve slide has warped your 2nd valve casing. What the technician will do is press the 2nd valve slide back out to its original position. It is an easy fix, but be weary of trying it yourself because you can damage it if you go to far.

3. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

agreed

4. terrystrand

terrystrand New Friend

Dec 9, 2007
    Many, many thanx for the knowledgable advice which was encourageing. You Rock!

5. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    Good advice there and I'll just mention.... Don't try and fix this yourself. Take it to a good repair person

6. pipedope

pipedope Pianissimo User

Sep 2, 2007
    Easy fix for a good repairperson.
    This is one where experience counts for a lot.

7. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I probably should not tell you this, but, I seriously doubt that the casing is damaged. In all probability the valve slide has just been forced to the side, causing the end of the tubing to very slightly impinge upon the piston. I have repaired a multitude of them by wrapping a cloth shop towel arround a thin flat file and gently levering the tubing back into place, flexing the tubing a little at a time until the valve moves freely again.

OLDLOU>>

8. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Lol... I bet it would be easier to understand if you were showing us.. but reading that just SOUNDS like a disaster haha

9. terrystrand

terrystrand New Friend

Dec 9, 2007
    Oldlou,

I'm curious. Wouldn't removing the middle slide free up the valve? As a way to diagnose if it really is the slide hitting the valve that is causing the sticking? Or am I misunderstanding your explanation/fix?

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    If the slide tubes that are connected to the valve itself aren't warped or crushed in, I doubt the actual slide tubes are hitting the piston itself.