Trumpet Tipped Over...middle Valve Now Sticky...advice Please.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by terrystrand, Dec 9, 2007.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I think Lou means the outside tubing, not that which moves with the slide. This tubing is connected (brazed) to the casing and when bent will impinge on the valve w/o the casing itself having been indented. A severe bend would move the casing with it.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If this is not your only horn, you could give it a go. If it is your only horn, take it somewhere reputable and watch them fix it. Then you have an experience for the future!
    A minor bend in the tubing or casing can be with a little TLC, compensated for. I use hard wood doweling (or an old mouthpiece) to straighten out things like this. I could show someone standing next to me, but I do not think that odds for success by describing the process over the internet are that good.
    It does not take much to get a valve to stick and if you are not careful about how you dose your energy, the repair could end up being much more expensive. Many years ago, a student of mine borrowed my Selmer pic, dropped it and tried to fix it himself, he ended up ripping the leadpipe off of the 4th valve. That is not a normal solder job anymore and the horn was actually ruined in the process of getting it repaired. I ended up taking a loss on it (but got a much better replacement so there was a happy end..............).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    if your horn doesnt have reverse slides on the 1st and 2nd valve you could use the 1st valve slide for better leverage, but again, this is dangerous if you haven't done it before.

4. terrystrand

terrystrand New Friend

Dec 9, 2007
    As the one who started this thread, I have read all the advice, answers, etc., and they were a great learning experience. So here's the windup:

Yesterday I called The Saxophone Shop in Skokie, Illinois, a longtime established instrument repair shop on the Northwest side of Chicago...not far from my home. I told the owner that my trusty Olds Ambassador tipped off its stand, hit the wood floor, dinged the middle slide, and now the 2nd valve was very sticky...useless.

He said his brass guru was leaving in 15 minutes, but to bring it in. I made it there in 10 minutes, the horn was taken in the back room, and 5 minutes later, or less it came back.

"It's fixed", said the owner. "That'll be fifteen bucks."

"Hallelujia," I said, and paid the man.

Wish I could have watched it being repaired, but I asked how it was accomplished. I was told, just as some of you told me, that the repair guy just whacked it.

The horn is perfect now.

But I still can't play like Chet Baker!

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    HAHA... great story! God bless repair men!