Trumpet to cornet conversion...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Musicadam, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Musicadam

Musicadam New Friend

May 1, 2009
    Newhaven, UK
    Hi there!

I've been playing trumpet for many years and without 'blowing my own' :-P I play to a reasonably good amateur standard.

I've played with a few (British) brass bands over the years and have been playing with my current band for over a year and a half as second chair solo cornet. They're the best standard band I've played with currently at the top end of the fourth section and have competed in the third section in the not too distant past.

The problem I've always had is not being able to 'convert' from trumpet to cornet. I play my trumpet...fine. I play my cornet...it's ok, nice even, but quite thick and a bit 'farty' without being breathy. I play trumpet again....fine. I'm really looking for that nice, fluid, 'narrow' brass band sound.

Now I fully understand the physical differences between the instruments and the resistance changes etc etc but nothing I try seems to do much good. I've never been able to get a nice, smooth, fluid sound on ANY cornet. I've tried many types at varying levels and have always found the same thing.

Generally, the upper register also suffers from 'A' upward, although I can get up there.

If there are any tips or advice on approaching this, I'd be very grateful to hear from you!

Many thanks in advance

Adam

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    How does your trumpet mouthpiece compare to the cornet ones you have tried? The MP can make a big difference in your sound - it certainly does for me.

3. Musicadam

Musicadam New Friend

May 1, 2009
    Newhaven, UK
    Hi!

I've tried Vincent Bach and Denis Wick MPs of comparible size to my trumpet Denis Wick MP (VB1 1/2C & DW 2B). I normally play on a Denis Wick Heritage now which seems to get the best results but still doesn't solve the problems.

Any suggestions welcome!

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The only other thing that I can think of is the way in which your ears/brain respond to the sound of the cornet. You may be subconsciously trying to adjust to obtain the sound that you are accustomed to on your trumpet. So, maybe if you concentrated on the cornet for a period of time to allow yourself to adjust to that sound and feel, you would then find that it sounds good to you. Then, switching back and forth would not be a problem.

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Im originally a Cornet player but moved onto trumpet when I started playing jazz, but I know exactly how you feel.... and Ive played around with mouthpieces and found the best to be the huge 'V' shaped ones, I play a Lewington Mccann and a Jim Shepherd special cornet mouthpieces, both very big and get a nice brass band cornet sound, if I use say a bach 3C I get much more of a trumpet sound, might be worth getting a very deep cornet MP and make sure you practice atleast once a week on cornet! that was my biggest problem, never touch my cornet until it comes out for band but do like 2 hours a day trumpet, just have to balance the two.

BTW which band do you play for?

6. Musicadam

Musicadam New Friend

May 1, 2009
    Newhaven, UK
    Hi everyone!

Thankyou so much for the advice! I certainly shall try and get some more time allocated to the cornet!

I have, however, had a lot of success in the mouthpiece department! I just hadn't thought about the physics of transferring between trumpet and cornet before; both the same length but the cornet tapers out earlier and prgressively through the instrument. This means that the only way the cornet could be that same pitch as the trumpet and have the same internal volume (mathematically!) would be to have a smaller bore at the mouthpiece end of the leadpipe!

I'd always just assumed that because I play a 1.5C on the trumpet I should have the equivalent on the cornet, however I needed a smaller cup to have a smaller buzz to go into the smaller bore!!! Makes sense when you think about it!

Unpacked my new 4B (Denis Wick) piece last week and am now playing the cornet with the same range and intensity as the trumpet!

One happy trumpet/cornet player!

Thanks again people!

Adam

7. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Something I have been doing recently is going down into the pedal tones the ones below F#, that I read about in the Flugel horn thread. They sound horrible on trumpet and cornet but it seems to help my overall tone and get out those farghty sounds that happen occasionally, maybe this is more of a problem on cornet since I am guessing it is closer to a flugel so more prone to be able to play those tones.