Trumpet to Flugel Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Warren Blacksand, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Warren Blacksand

Warren Blacksand New Friend

Mar 6, 2005
    b.c.
    Hello Folks

I'm an amateur trumpet player and I'm considering trying out flugel horn.
    Anyone play both?
    How hard is it to pick up for the average player? Is it harder/easier to play overall? I love the idea of the versatility that playing both would bring
    to a session. :-)

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Hi Warren. It should not be a problem at all (to double on both). Most of the top players double on these two and some folks even triple (adding cornet). Valving is the same, range is very close to the same.

Flugelhorns do have characteristics somewhat different from trumpet and once you "get into it" you'll want to buy a horn with certain characteristics (depending on what type of music you wish to use the flugel for). Be aware that there are two? or three different "tapers" of receiver so watch out and be sure to ask lots of questions when it comes time to start buying mouthpieces!

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi Warren

I play both (and ocassionally cornet) and it's not a problem. Basically there are 3 broad types:

1. The smaller bore flugels ( 410/425)-modelled after the 'Queenie' French built flugels). Bach, Eclipse, Kanstul, new Getzen
    2. The medium bores (430/440). Yamaha, Lawler
    3. The larger bores (459/460). older Getzen, old Benge, Olds (?)

All have their own characteristic but in my opinion the smaller bores have the sweetest sound and the larger ones can sound a bit tubby..just my opinion though. The only thing that you really ahve to adjust with the smaller bore ones is to back off...they don't respond at all to pushing heaps of air through them (in fact if I try it the whole thing 'shuts down') but hey you're rewarded with the greatest sound.

Ed's also right...if you go armed with your mp be aware there are at least 3 different tuning shnak tapers in current use.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Trevor

4. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Any trumpet player can play flugel but it takes a little while to play it well. A lot of people sound like a trumpet player playing a flugel, especially in the beginning(I know that sounds redundant but if you've heard a good flugel player and a bad flugel player you'd know what I mean).

You'll have an instantly darker sound on flugel but don't think the work is over. Expect to spend some time with instrument to get the right sound concept. I find a slightly gentler approach yields the desired results.

Above all, remember; a flugel is not a dark sounding trumpet. It's a different instrument and should be treated as such.

5. horndevil

horndevil New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    England
    I play all three, Trumpet, cornet and flugel. I find the best way to be successful on each is to approach with the correct mind set.

This is achieved by spending enough time on an instrument to really understand what you want it to say about your playing and setting your mind so that you can reproduce the sound you want every time you pick it up. Most important, when you are changing between instruments throughout a gig.

Have fun! :evil:

6. Warren Blacksand

Warren Blacksand New Friend

Mar 6, 2005
    b.c.
    correction -- wind tunnel mulitimedia.info/ what do you think folks?