Trumpet to French Horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wisetrumpet94, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    DO IT!!!

I played horn as a secondary instrument in high school (along with euphonium) and it was a really good decision! Quite honestly, it shaped the player that I am today.

And yes, chances are that you would eventually make a great flugel player as well! ;)

Once again...GO FOR IT! Have fun!
    Kujo

2. dan42guy

dan42guy New Friend

May 6, 2010
    Fort Worth, TX
    You should also learn guitar, flute, and didgeridoo!

But seriously, you'll get out of it whatever you expect to get out of it. Learning a new instrument can help everything from embouchure and breathing to music theory and sight reading, but your trumpet playing will suffer if you neglect your trumpet. Just decide what is important to you and give it everything you've got!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I played French Horn at the local comminuity college my senior year in High School. I was playing trumpet in a rock band professionally as well. I don't remember the horn messing up my chops. I was practicing the trumpet 4-5 hours a day at this time. My question is are you a music major? Do you have any aspirations of getting a music scholarship. Are you currently recieving private lessons ... if you are then I would discuss it with my instructor.
    The only reason I did play the horn was I knew I would need some help to get into the school ... and it worked.
    I really don't understand band directors who do that though.. it seems pretty selfish. I would suggest him finding a keyboard player who has a good french horn patch on their synthesizer. I am going to start another thread about that one.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For 20 years I have played French horn in a community orchestra and trumpet in a big band, after initial slow to transition between the two I have no problems, equal practice time on both is essential and I would suggest a horn teacher to get you started.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My problem with a French horn was that I'm right hand dominant and I could never get my left hand fingers to move as fast as my right. Prior to this I had had surgery on my left hand, more extensively wounded on my thumb that lessened across the back of my hand to my ring finger. Quite a gash I thought then. However, I seemed to manage well enough by determination ... until I purchased my own trumpet. Even so, I've subsequently acquired a mellophone in F that I'll occasionally play with my old Farkas French horn mpc using an adaptor vis I do like the F sound.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    As already mentioned, the french horn requires much more concentration to center the note as the horn has many more partials than a trumpet. I played french horn for 5 years until it became second nature to play, however, playing it for just one season seems like a strange request. Does your band have a small or non-existent horn section?

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    . . . in which case, you may be better off if the band has a good Bb single Horn.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The year I played French horn in the high school band was when I was still in 8th grade and my first year of 5 that I played in it, the remaining 4 mostly on trumpet sometimes doubling on trombone, euphonium, tuba or Sousaphone. Yes, the year I played French horn I was the only one. Too, that year we only had 38 instrumental marchers in the band with only 2 majorettes and one who carried the American Flag. By 1953, we had a 106 marchers, and additionally 14 strings, a pianist, and a tympanist for stage concerts.
    Oh yes, then there were 25 majorettes, and 18 flag twirlers, 2 banner carriers, and five in our honor guard.

9. wisetrumpet94

wisetrumpet94 New Friend

Aug 8, 2011
    Hartsville, SC
    Thanks for the replies and the help, everyone! Really has helped my decision!
    -Leighton

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And what is your decision? We'd all like to know!