Trumpet to french horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 3, 2012.

1. centerofaTONEment

centerofaTONEment New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    My band director just asked me to play french horn for concert band and trumpet for wind ensemble and like an idiot, I said yes. Any tips for me? I have a passion for trumpet and Im not one to spread myself thin.

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Your band director needs a french horn player in his concert band. You do not have to be that french horn player if you don't want. I knew 3 trumpet players that switched to french horn in my high school. None of the 3 ever played trumpet again and do not play any instrument today to my knowledge. I don't want to scare you....live your dream.

3. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Yes you do, this is like going to the dark side!

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    In eighth grade (1969) I changed from trumpet to french horn, and didn't pick up the trumpet again until three years ago. If you go with the french horn, the embouchure is very different as is the mouthpiece, and there are many more partials requiring very precise wind control and lots of practice. I actually tried to go back to the french horn three years ago but never got beyond sounding like an angry elephant when I played.

5. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Pick up an old Conn F (Alto) Horn. A trumpet mouthpiece fits in just fine and the fingering is the same. A deeper cup gives it a nice sound (don't try using a 14a4a here). Much better than playing a French Horn. Stupid instruments - they play to the back wall, with your hand shoved up the bell. And the lack of spit valves means you're pulling slides to dump water, causing all but the best horn players to be constantly out of tune. An F-Horn (sometimes called a Peck horn) plays forward, towards the audience. I play one in two local community bands. The only trick is getting used to hearing the notes in F, instead of Bb, but if you're not switching between the instuments quickly, then it's pretty easy to do.

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    The mouthpiece is really different, there is no real cup. The slotting is going to be real hard, the best thing to do is practice. Dont expect to be great. Dont forget your trumpet, take it out and play it every other day or so. Good luck!

7. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    As a freshman and sophomore in HS (1970-72) I played horn in orchestra and symphony band, and trumpet in stage band, musicals and marching band - because we needed horns.

My junior and senior years I played trumpet exclusively. I had no issues. It required practice to maintain proficiency in both. I bought a horn last year and play it occasionally because one of the community bands I play in has 2 horn players over 70, and they've said they may not be able to keep playing.

I don't mind helping out.

8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I played french horn in a concert band for 20 years, it was at times very frustrating as doubling the Alto saxophones meant that most of the time I could not hear myself playing. Symphony orchestra is a different game altogether. Find a mouthpiece with a similar sized rim as your trumpet, play the horn on the Bb side and learn the transposing fingering. Changing from one to the other is a bit confusing at start but will become automatic with practice.

Currently I am playing trumpet in a big band on thursdays and french horn in orchestra on saturdays.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Come on now, French Horn is the 2nd best instrument you could play...

Does it make me a bad person if I like the Mozart horn concertos more than the Haydn and Hummel? :(

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The community orchestra I play in the 4th horn turned 80 last year and still playing well, at almost 74 I play mostly 2nd, our principal a mere girl of 30 gives me the high parts, I think the trumpet chops help.

Regards, Stuart.