Trumpet to french horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by centerofaTONEment, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    You yourself said "Like an idiot, I said yes."

Ok, tell him you changed your mind. It will do you ZERO good to play the french horn.

Stick to the trumpet and master that, it IS your passion.

Why mess with your passion and end up with no passion for anything?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Not that you can find one easily -- but I got this FE OLDS Eb alto horn from the 50's, it takes either my flugel, or trumpet mpc --- and is halfway between the trumpet and french horn in sound. Hey you could just tell him, that you will meet him HALFWAY --- and then you won't have to change your embouchure or mpc, or fingerings either ----------actually you would not even be going halfway ---- but would he know?

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I play Horn and have been trying to regain trumpet chops after having stopped in 1970. I originally converted to Horn the summer after graduating HS and began the fall college semester playing Horn I in the university band, later in a military band. I reverted to trumpet after my freshman year and before my military service but I never played them simultaneously like your band director is asking you to do. I don't know about your adaptability or playing level, but if I were asked to do it now, I could do what you are being asked to do, but I would also have to set aside at least an hour a day practice on ~each~ horn. Are you willing to do that? Is your band director a brass player?